Advertisement - Content continues below

Discuss AND gate for S-Plan DHW priority in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Does anyone make a 230V AND gate: two mains inputs and which only outputs (2A max, say) when both line inputs are live? I have an S-plan system with two DHW cylinders and need mains output when the heat demand from both ceases (i.e. when both cylinder stats are in the ‘satisfied’ state).
This would be used to tell a weather-compensated boiler that it was OK to drop the flow temperature if the outdoor sensor said so.

Aico 3000 Range
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Leesparkykent

Mod
Mentor
Arms
Supporter
Esteemed
Does anyone make a 230V AND gate: two mains inputs and which only outputs (2A max, say) when both line inputs are live? I have an S-plan system with two DHW cylinders and need mains output when the heat demand from both ceases (i.e. when both cylinder stats are in the ‘satisfied’ state).
This would be used to tell a weather-compensated boiler that it was OK to drop the flow temperature if the outdoor sensor said so.
Why not just use the satisfied terminal on the cylinder thermostat?

Wilko

-
Arms
Esteemed
If I’ve understood correctly, it may need a relay. One sat fires the relay and the other sat is on n/o terminal :) .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yes - it needs a relay or equivalent because live output is needed when both stats are satisfied and not just one. Otherwise the unsatisfied (still demanding) cylinder could be heated to less than its set-point in the summer when the W/C ramped down the flow temperature sufficient for the CH but not DHW.

Hi sounds like an interesting project!

Use each tank stat to pull in a relay.
Then you can link your signal wire thru a NC contact on each relay. (in series)
You can use your NO contacts for the hot water control.

T

Toneyz

Hi sounds like an interesting project!

Use each tank stat to pull in a relay.
Then you can link your signal wire thru a NC contact on each relay. (in series)
You can use your NO contacts for the hot water control.
This is the only way I can see it working.

davesparks

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
You only need one relay.
Connect the orange of both dhw valves to the coil (I assume there is a valve for each cylinder)
Live to the common, N/O fires the boiler and N/C signals the the weather comp.

PEG

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
It sounded like one cylinder would still be receiving input,until the last to be satisfied,signalled it was.
We may need more description of the system set-up.

davesparks

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
It sounded like one cylinder would still be receiving input,until the last to be satisfied,signalled it was.
We may need more description of the system set-up.
Yes, with two cylinders there is normally two motorised valves.
The OP needs a signal when neither valve is calling for heat,

You only need one relay.
Connect the orange of both dhw valves to the coil (I assume there is a valve for each cylinder)
Live to the common, N/O fires the boiler and N/C signals the the weather comp.
That is OR Logic op is looking for AND I think?

davesparks

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
That is OR Logic op is looking for AND I think?
Yes it is Or logic and the OP mentions And logic, but it achieves the same result that the OP requires in a less complicated manner than they were trying to achieve it.

static zap

-
Advent Win
Is it a bit like Power from one source (if present)
is only switched, passed thru ON if single relay is also(AND) energised to pass it ( But things can go wrong is N/C contacts are used for anything )

CK Tools :) The professionals choice when it comes to Electrical Tools

Reply to AND gate for S-Plan DHW priority in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

Bulk Workwear - Clothing Suppliers for the Whole Forum Network
Top Bottom