Discuss Any advice on rewires? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

But why are we having to go through all this, its a complete fafe and does not happen on any other site, but this one? The standard browser that most use is Google are they trying to bypass the normal browser? Or are we just being played for the sake of it?

Tracking is common on most websites and necessary on sites where you might register an account. You should be presented with the option to opt in for any tracking beyond that deemed essential for smooth running of the site.

Software is available from numerous companies for the handling of these permissions and it is the choice of software which forms the crux of my objections. Some software provides a simple 'accept' or 'manage' option, with others providing an extra 'reject all' option (obviously this doesn't block every tracking cookie, but should block those which aren't deemed necessary for running of the site). The software used on this forum is considerably more complex than most, where the handling of permissions by each user is concerned. It is software that I most often see on the websites of a few news outlets (which tend to have a plethora of lnks to dubious websites) and these are sites which I choose not to use when browsing on a phone, due to the complex nature in which permissions must be navigated in order to avoid unintentional authorisation of numerous tracking cookies which are granted 'assumed consent' under the software developer's understanding of 'fair use'.

Of all the various forums I visit this is the only one that we, as the contributors have the most complaints about adverts and cookies, no matter the excuse's and various masse's of them, this is the only one that is difficult to manage and no notice is taken of the complaints.

Try it with uBlock Origin as an extension, you might be pleasantly surprised.
Thanks for the tip - I'll give it try as I do still use Firefox for a few things - it used to be my main browser and still sees a bit of use since switching to Brave. I guess I like Brave as it just works as supplied - no need for third party extensions.

I work a fair bit with digital interactives and AVs - sometimes we have interactives that we run in a web browser in kiosk mode. We had this one in an exhibition a couple of years ago:

It regularly crashed in Chrome, but ran just fine when we switched it to Firefox.

Ì have taken pc1966's advice, and now have ad free browsing of this forum.
Adbloc plus had ceased working on this forum a week or so ago, as having it on produced a big blue notice telling me to disable it.
Good to hear. This forum is one of the worst sites of any I actually want to visit, but many other sites are still simply intolerable these days without some sort of blocking.

Good to hear. This forum is one of the worst sites of any I actually want to visit, but many other sites are still simply intolerable these days without some sort of blocking.
In these simpler times most things seems to get more difficult, or complicated, at least.
It's like using the internet trying to trace spare parts for repairs, for instance. It used to be contact your wholesaler and pick up, or get them to trace it. Problem now, with stock levels so low, most of the employees haven't the faintest idea what you're on about.
I'd like to try this uBlock Origin but I'm too illiterate.
Anyway, back to advice on rewires? :)

Last edited:

Reply to Any advice on rewires? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net