Discuss Any observations on these? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
$_1.JPG

Doing anothing electrical installation condition report on a commercial property.

Are there any general observations on this type of isolation which needs to be listed on the cert? Also if you have codes for them that would be great.

Not always asbestos flashguards, some of these take BS88 fuses rather than rewireable. In which case as safe as anything modern that takes BS88 fuses if in good condition.

FWIW I much prefer a proper isolator like the one in this Bill Royal than a modern bit of cheap meltable plastic that only puts 3mm contact gap between you and the supply. These things will stand huge surges without flashing over as the contact blades are an inch or more clear of the forks, and you know they're clear because you can feel and hear the bar clunk round.

It is not beyond the wit of man to fashion an effective lockout device that fits most of them.

Swap the wingnuts for hex nuts to cure the accessible without tools problem

As long as the live parts inside are shielded to IP2X only removable with a tool or key the wingnuts should be ok to stay, no ?
I haven't seen inside it of course but I'm imagining those ceramic block shields in an isolator like that.

Yes I have done that in the Past when others have sited it as a code 2 , I personally don't think it warrants a code has you have to be turned off the isolator to open it and i thought the live in connections have internal covers . as said though the asbestos could be an issue if present

Last edited:

Reply to Any observations on these? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

I've just started using the NAPIT forms for EIC's and EICR's and they are a bit cumbersome to be fair. Does anyone know which observation is for a...
Replies
Views
I note that in answer to another EV Charger question a member suggested a 40A breaker would be preferred to a 32A because of many hours at...
Replies
Views
I was surfing through one of the electrical training groups on Facebook yesterday and came across this question from an AM2 prep course: There...
Replies
Views
Another thread asked about two circuits sharing a common multi-core cable and regulation 521.8.1 was mentioned. A friend of mine has inherited...
Replies
Views
We have a meter EDMI - ES30B fitted to our property. I understand from the fact sheet for the smart meter...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock