Discuss Application for a VFD (Lathe Saddle) in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

joel89

-
Reaction score
Hi,

just wanting to put a VFD on a lathe rapid traverse saddle, anyhow ever done this and does it work ok? it is a poreba lathe 12metre bed 1.1kw 3ph induction motor.

Any reason why you want to fit a VSD - they tend to fuction fine at full speed with manual for finer set-up, would seem an expensive exercise against a DOL contactor.

the reason is to get a nice ramp up, our operators keep shearing the motor shaft i think they are FWD/REV really quickly on selector switch it always happens on nights but cannot prove it, the other thing they do is pull the steady with the saddle, which isnt right but again its the same old argument "Weve always done it like this" so im thinking an inverter will cure the problem I already have a 1.1kw Altivar 312 so cost isnt an issue

Cheaper to fit a delay timer and check the motors are not been fitted incorrectly in that the bolts are been tightened in the correct sequence when mounting.

I would also check if there is any play on the gearing by turning the impellor and making sure it doesn't travel before engaging due to mechanical wear, I would suggest you need to find the cause first, a VSD may stop it but its only masking an issue that may cost more in the long run if ignored.

Reply to Application for a VFD (Lathe Saddle) in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi all, just looking for some advice about getting into site installation work. Currently 32 yo, 1.5 years qualified gold card in electrical...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I've just been perusing the AM2/E/S threads on here. Thought you might like a bit of a review. If, like I did, you find yourself...
Replies
Views
Beware a little long. I served an electrical apprenticeship a long time ago, then went back to full time education immediately moving away from...
Replies
Views
This is quite lengthy so get comfy... I had a bizarre call out relating to a job I attended about five years ago. The situation was they were...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am renovating a house. I am rewiring myself. I am getting an electrician to install a new consumer unit & test all my work. I'm looking...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock