Discuss Apprentice Info in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

sythai

-
Arms
Reaction score
The time has come where I'm ready to take on an apprentice. An investment for my business and to give someone a chance.

Anyone got any tips on what to look for, pros/ cons.

I've got a 17 year old chap I'm taking on for a 2 week trial, he ticks all the boxes so far and really hope it goes well.

Havent spoken to the college yet, but apparently there's no course fees for me to pay and I get £1500 if I take him on. Just wondering about a contract and the terms I would like to set how does all that work.

Thinking I would also need to update my liability insurance and get employers insurance. Also speak to my accountant on how I would pay him.

Any further thoughts/ pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers Sy

** Please could one of the kind Mods please move this over to the business related forum, looking at it now I realise I've posted it in the wrong one, thank you **

Last edited:
you'll definitely need employers liability. usually comes as a package with PL etc. check out direct line. they promise to beat any quote, and also compare the meerkat ( get free meerkat toy. we've got 4 ). you'll need to set up PAYE. talk to your accountant.

Hi Sythai. I am also looking into an apprentice, make sure you enquire on the apprenticeship.org website before you take anyone on because as i understand it if they start wirking for you before arranging their apprenticeship you will not get any grant for your business, you will only get training paid for. You must do it the right way.

Have you done a search on here, I'm sure there have been a few threads on this over recent months.

AND good on you, another youngster employed and in proper training.

Have you done a search on here, I'm sure there have been a few threads on this over recent months.

AND good on you, another youngster employed and in proper training.

Thanks mate.... looking forward too it, have a good feeling this may work well (for both of us):smiley2:

Been trawling through some previous threads last night, there's a few on here but thought would start a fresh one just see if anything new is about .

Cheers Sy

Thanks mate.... looking forward too it, have a good feeling this may work well (for both of us):smiley2:

Been trawling through some previous threads last night, there's a few on here but thought would start a fresh one just see if anything new is about .

Cheers Sy

You would have thought that the DWP would be able to help you wouldn't you!!

This is probably worth a read if you haven't already:

https://www.gov.uk/apprenticeships-guide/applications-and-qualifications

Reply to Apprentice Info in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net