Discuss Asbestos exposure or not. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Last week I had finished fitting a mains board inside a lighthouse and had started to clip the flex for a tubular heater.
First bash of the hammer on the cable clip produced a large cloud of dusty debris that came outfrom behind the wood pannels onto which the flex was going to be held.
I was coated with the stuss and breathed in a load to the extent that my voice was hoarse for the remainder of the day.
I followed procedure and phoned my findings into head office suspecting that it may be an asbestos containing substance.
To cut out all the intervening goings on air samples were taken by an analyst and found to contain NO fibres but solid samples were taken aswell and found to be positive for Crysotile.
I have been told that as no airborne fibres were foind I have not been exposed !!! Surely the massive lung fyll of the dust cloud proves otherwise.
Thoughts please.
A.

I have experienced this before. Legally to get possible compensation if it is Asbestos you need to go to a doctor immediately and tell them what happened and they will issue you will a certificate saying you may have been exposed, regarding Wills post about not worrying about it because it takes 40 years, well I understand his view, but it can occur in less time, I would definately seek advice and insist on the Asbestos register for the site.

The company has told you no asbestos fibres were airborne. What more would you want?

An asbestos register is not to be used for works. It is a register of known asbestos for the benefit of normal building users carrying out normal everyday tasks. It should not be used as the only source to work under.

When carrying out construction work a specific R&D survey is required if you think there is a possibility of ACMs in the area that you are working.

Consulting the asbestos register is pointless and not the correct procedure for the works you are carrying out.

The company has told you no asbestos fibres were airborne. What more would you want?
I have also experienced this before Neil, a company telling their staff no Asbestos was in the building, yet it was found, the register went missing and when found it proved it was in there, the person concerned was sacked and all staff exposed had to see a doctor, Never trust a manager, never, they are muppets, myself and you not included of course :D

myself and you not included of course.

who says???? :D:D:D.

All you can do now is have all the information recorded, gather copies of the asbestos register, incident report, asbestos survey finding etc and store them safely for future reference if you do develop an asbestos related disease.

Could take 5 - 60 years.

All you can do now is have all the information recorded, gather copies of the asbestos register, incident report, asbestos survey finding etc and store them safely for future reference if you do develop an asbestos related disease.

Could take 5 - 60 years.
by which time he'll be dead, or won't he. I await the next episode with bated breath ( with an approved dust mask on, of course).

by which time he'll be dead, or won't he. I await the next episode with bated breath ( with an approved dust mask on, of course).
But there will be a large claim for the family so they shouldn't be financially disadvantaged if he does die.

Just don't try and cremate him...

agree if he's full of asbestos, might cost double the gas.

Not sure what testing the air any appreciable time after an incident proves.
I would expect them to collect dust from surrounding surfaces.
Yes this is standard procedure when a possible acm exposure has occured. The analyst will use a number of pumps depending on the size of the area in which it occured and they will run for a set time (usually 45 minutes to an hour). Then they check the air sample filters under a microscope and do a count of fibres found which then gives a pass or fail. Cant remember exactly how many are allowed before it fails but it is under 20 fibres and that relates to a certain cubic volume of air. If there were NO fibers found then I wouldn’t be worried. Obviously there are variables to consider like size of open area with ventilation like doors and windows open, open roof space etc this will effect it. Plus you said it tested positive as chrysotile which is “white asbestos” and can be considered as the least dangerous type but not forgetting ALL asbestos is dangerous. Basically what I’m trying to say is don’t worry mate. We’ve all had asbestos exposure without even knowing it.

An asbestos register is not to be used for works. It is a register of known asbestos for the benefit of normal building users carrying out normal everyday tasks. It should not be used as the only source to work under.

When carrying out construction work a specific R&D survey is required if you think there is a possibility of ACMs in the area that you are working.

Consulting the asbestos register is pointless and not the correct procedure for the works you are carrying out.
Correct and right

Before work is carried out they should be doing a Type 3 destruction test.

Reply to Asbestos exposure or not. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock