Discuss Awkward customer or just me in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I have an awkward customer who moans about everything

They had a new kitchen fitted and had a cooker cable 6mm already in so used that for a work top hob and oven. I used one 45amp isolator switch to switch both appliances on both wires from switch in 6mm protected by a 32amp rcbo. Recently his cooker was fault and got a cooker expert out to fix it. Faulty fan but this bloke said that the cooker needs to be protected by a 13amp fuse as stated in manufactures instructions. Now the customer is saying we bodged it and want a sfs feed off the 6mm to feed the cooker. And work to be done unpaid as our fault. Is there any regs that I could use or am I in the wrong

I guess if it's not installed as the oven manufacturers instructions then the retailer can pretty much dodge a 'oven knackered' claim should they want to, so then *you'd* probably have to pay out (your punter has photographic proof after all) it doesn't really matter about the regs as long as the regs can be satisfied whilst doing what the manufacturer says.
* Retailer holds the contractual liability but that would be subject to fitting according to manufacturers instructions.
** Can't see you, or your liability insurance going head to head on this as it wouldn't be economic - well not just for an oven fault.

Is there any regs
With the latest amendment we only have to take manufacturers instructions "into consideration" So it is very much up to the engineer who installed it if he can justify his reasons. However that said it is the case that the item in question is rated to 13a and is effectively protected by a 32a mcb which is quite a high fault tolerance level for the equipment so it may be hard to justify it as suitable protection if the oven has a melt down. So I would guess that it is down to you to fit a fused connection from maybe a dual outlet plate to each item. What is the hob supposed to be fused at?

for argument sake put a socket behind the oven plug in .it will stick out about 2 inches get paid and walk away simple .part p the work
don't hand over the paper work if he does not pay.

I am not sure of the legality of this in UK !
But in USA manufacturers instructions superceed electrical code.
So in essence you must follow manufacturers instructions.
And it could be argued that it is not instaled as required,
So the customer could be justified in requesting it be done so.
I would just do it,you may take a hit and lose a bit, but in the long run
you will be better off, as the customer will be happy !

I am not sure of the legality of this in UK !
But in USA manufacturers instructions superceed electrical code.
So in essence you must follow manufacturers instructions.

Its not the case in the UK,we should take account of their instructions,must does not apply and for good reason

The health service was left in turmoil by manufacturers instructions and the Iet soon amended the regs to prevent a similar occurunce
funny-chinese-sign-translation-fails-27.jpg

I was doing some work in a factory unit, Part of the work was to provide power for a new machine from China.
The machine once powered up did not function correctly.
After some phone calls and emails, it was decided in China that the PME Earthing was not good enough and an Earth rod should be installed next to the machine inside the factory unit.
I refused.

Reply to Awkward customer or just me in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net