Discuss bad day at the office in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Went to replace a 4 way Wylex consumer unit today. Easy peasy - wrong!

When dismantalling the CU was testing as I went, on ring r1 was approx 300 ohms, rn around 600 ohms. Spent some time trying to find the problem without raising floorboards etc. and the problem seemed to be between the CU and 1st/last socket, so was about to disconnect that leg and make it a radial. I then did the insulation test - dead short between neutral and earth!

Couldn't find it, I know where it is in the general area near a bedroom socket, but floor is over boarded!

Had to re-assemble CU. Back tomorrow, couldn't access another nearby socket behind wardrobe so customer moving it tonight, for me to have another go!

Previous owner was a DIYer, other issues need sorting as well!

This is the 2nd installation in 2 weeks were a DIYer has caused problems!

Went to replace a 4 way Wylex consumer unit today. Easy peasy - wrong!

When dismantalling the CU was testing as I went, on ring r1 was approx 300 ohms, rn around 600 ohms. Spent some time trying to find the problem without raising floorboards etc. and the problem seemed to be between the CU and 1st/last socket, so was about to disconnect that leg and make it a radial. I then did the insulation test - dead short between neutral and earth!

Couldn't find it, I know where it is in the general area near a bedroom socket, but floor is over boarded!

Had to re-assemble CU. Back tomorrow, couldn't access another nearby socket behind wardrobe so customer moving it tonight, for me to have another go!

Previous owner was a DIYer, other issues need sorting as well!

This is the 2nd installation in 2 weeks were a DIYer has caused problems!

I only install radials if I can help it. What does a 32A RFC do that two 20A radials can't.. Think I find issues on probably half of the RFCs I test.

Re the dead short, it wasn't PME..

But at least you didn't drop your vans key fob in someone's toilet like I did today! Then van wouldn't start due to this and had to get missus to bring me the spare key! That'll be best part of £150 I reckon!

I did a kitchen refurb recently in a 60's house. Property had a new CU fitted 2 years ago, and the sockets were on 2 radials, which is unusual for the area. Whilst looking how to re organise the kitchen radial, I discovered 2 x tw&e under the floorboards, going down into kitchen in capping in the wall, and I found this. Looks like the house had been built with a RFC, but the sparky missed this one, thanks to the plasterer. Both still live, by the way.
IMG_0892.jpgIMG_0895.jpg

Last edited:
Odd seeing today not yesterday is Friday 13th, however yesterday my day also went wrong, get up in the morning hit the table with all my sorted out paperwork on it and drop the lot on the floor, go out to fix an outside floodlight, grab it to balance myself and break the fitting so have to go back with a new light, ring to find out why my next light fitting is not here and the supplier "forgot" to dispatch it! so my next customer had no light, not happy. Go to 2nd fix a kitchen realise I have forgotten to chop out two back boxes and finish at 21:00, oh yes and it just starts raining before I get home so my washing on the line is wet.
Not a good day.

I only install radials if I can help it. What does a 32A RFC do that two 20A radials can't.. Think I find issues on probably half of the RFCs I test.

Re the dead short, it wasn't PME..

But at least you didn't drop your vans key fob in someone's toilet like I did today! Then van wouldn't start due to this and had to get missus to bring me the spare key! That'll be best part of £150 I reckon!

strip the key down remove battery dry it as best you can spray with contact cleaner or alcohol (not whisky or other spirits) leave in a dry warm place and it may recover
done this to loads of water damaged pcbs and most come back

I'm one of the radial brigade so that part of the comment i'd give a like to. But, why 20A radials? 4mm 32A Radial is the way forward. As opposed to 2 20A radials.

Mark

strip the key down remove battery dry it as best you can spray with contact cleaner or alcohol (not whisky or other spirits) leave in a dry warm place and it may recover
done this to loads of water damaged pcbs and most come back

Cheers mate, sorta due another one anyway as the lock button has been knacked for six months, could open it with remote but had to physically lock it.

I'm one of the radial brigade so that part of the comment i'd give a like to. But, why 20A radials? 4mm 32A Radial is the way forward. As opposed to 2 20A radials.

Mark

Yep agreed Mark, for a kitchen and utility room would opt for 4mm, but normally go for 2.5 for bedrooms etc. Depends on the customer really.

Reply to bad day at the office in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net