Discuss bathroom cabunet light prob in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

jinty

right, just installed my new bathroom cabinet which has two 15w tube lights in it, worked fine the first time i put it on so never thought anything about it,

then thought id try it again and it tripped the main fuse switch on the house, tested it with a meter and all seems fine, i am a tad stumped and it a bit of a pain, i thought it could be a earth problem but i cant see how,

any help from you guys would be great,

suspect people will need more information as to what circuit it is on, age of it and whether it was an RCD or MCB that tripped.

sorry, it is the main RCD fuse that trips, doesnt do it all the time just sometimes, it is off the lighting circuit that it is on and the fuse for that doesnt trip just the main one itself,

the cabinet is brand new, there shouldnt be a problem with it but all seemed fine when testing it,

I am a long way off being much help and some one with more knowledge will be along shortly, but have you tried missing one of the tubes out and then the other one to check if the fault is to do with one of them or its fitting.

Jinty,

It sounds like there may be a faulty tube or equipment as part of the cabinet.

It may be best to either take it back or call in a registered electrician to check it out.

One other thing you could try is to disconnect the cabinet and try again and see if it trips.

If so, its possible the supply cable MAY have become damaged.

Also, to be honest, ANY electrical work in a bathroom should be installed by a registered electrician or notified to building control.

tried new tubes in today and it does the same, also with the earth diconected it seens to be fine,

it trips just before they come on, like the surge trips it out,

Reply to bathroom cabunet light prob in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net