Discuss Best tools? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J

jordan_cosgrove

Can anyone suggest some good quality tools that Electricians use/need, as I am an apprentice who is just to buy a few starter tools?

I would rather get the better tools rather than cheap ones which aren't as good..

Thanks

A lot comes down to personal preference mate, some like Wera drivers I like Irazola. Some like CK pliers, I like my Knippex etc etc.
CK do a kit that comes in a case which is very reasonable price wise

try this for size. add a bolster chisel and away you go.

CK Electricians Premium Tool Kit & Bag | screwflix..com

I love Bahco screwdriver handles but prefer the CK shafts, that sounds so wrong. Shame you can't pick and choose handles etc...

Keep a close eye on decent tools, they tend to grow legs and bugger off.

my advice is buy the cheapest ones you can find to start off with, but a good hacksaw and bolster with hand protection. you are more likely to be carying your bosses tools to start off with and leaving your tools around while your assisting your boss they are more likely to get taken if expensive.your boss wont expect you to have all the tools you need a couple of screwdrivers hammer tape measure, a notepad maybe depending on the type of work your boss does. it sometimes takes years to build up a good colection of tools after your first day ask what your boss expects you to have.they don't bite .......usualy.

Find out how good you are losing stuff first. I've always been pretty good at that.

I have an expensive set of Wera drivers about 3-4 years old completely intact. A cheaper set of Wera's with about 2-3 left of the set a year old. No point investing big time in tools only to replace them constantly, and at the same time no point buying cheap stuff if its never lost.

i lose my tools all the time, try to keep an i on the good one, i have one good hacksaw that cuts strait and was so impressed bought another the exact same that doesn't.you rely on your tools alot so if your the type that can look after them good on you but if your like me and use them for every diy job in your life then try not to spend to much remember as long as the tool can do its job and you can use it efectively and safely then unless you want to show off your new toys to the boys then be cost effective

I used to get cheap and in the end it cost alot replacing cheap with cheap so id advise you to go MID range, always TAPE up your tools with certain colour so you know what's yours as people will "borrow" and not put back etc.

I use these and swear by them! Not stupid price and ive tried them all Wera, CK, Knipex etc etc

Screwdrivers:
Bahco Electricians 1000V VDE Screwdriver Set Slotted and Pozi - 7 Piece: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

Snips:
Bahco 2101G-160 Ergo Side Cutting Pliers: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

Pliers:
Knipex 0306200 Combination Pliers 200 mm VDE Grips: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

Drills:
Makita LXT202 18V LXT Lithium-Ion Kit with 2 x Batteries (2 Pieces): Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

SDS Drills:
MAKITA BHR202Z SDS- DRILL- 18V- BODY ONLY: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

Hacksaw:
Bahco 325 Ergo Hacksaw 12In: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

Junior Hacksaw:
Bahco 239 Junior Saw: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

Stanley Knife:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bahco-SK-SQ...ef=sr_1_1?s=diy&ie=UTF8&qid=1345534719&sr=1-1

When looking for Electricians tools make sure they are fully insulated, the stanley knife is one of them press and click hold as some big sites only allow these now they dont allow standard stanley knifes anymore.

Get on Top CashBack Official Site - The UK's #1 CashBack Site Buy ur clothes etc from there, get cashback save it up and then some of your tools will be free via the amazon vouchers they send, sign up to lovefilm.com and get a free £20 amazon voucher

30 days FREE plus a FREE £20 Amazon voucher | LOVEFiLM

Ive saved up £30 quid so far on top cash back, so if you saved up 30 there and 20 love film.. thats 50 plus theres other vouchers out there to be had for free! So just get shopping around, get free vouchers and get free tools

Hope this helps =]

try this for size. add a bolster chisel and away you go.

CK Electricians Premium Tool Kit & Bag | screwflix..com

i bought this when i started 4 years ago and would reccomend to anyone starting out. not the best quality but as you lose/break things you upgrade gradually, i buy only knipex snips and pliers and draped screwdrivers now.

I'm against the CK kit. Bought it when I started 6 months ago and have replaced over half of it because its been crap. (I maybe got a dodgy set but gave up with Amazon/CK returns and warranty). Only things that have lasted are the pliers, needle nose pliers, hammer, level & junior hack saw (with decent replacement blades). At the most I'd use the CK set as more of a checklist, buy the basics first and buy new tools gradually, adding other things such as bolster, head torch, proper Stanley knife, etc. I wouldn't worry about power tools yet, I'm sure your boss will have a spare drill.

Someone said on here before: If you have to borrow a tool more than twice then you should probably own one.

Some tools I have now that I'd highly recommend:
Draper Expert screwdrivers (£25.80)
Stanley FatMax tote bag (£22.42)
Knippex 180mm side cutters (£23.99)

yeh like i said not the best quality but you have the majority of what you need then you replace as you need, the ck bag is ideal im on my second now. the only thing i would really say was crap is the side cutters

BUY THE MOST EXPENSIVE TOOLSu can afford to lose Personal preferance mine is CK Triton drivers CK modulo drivers Elliot lucas long nose and side cutters nCK Croppers FatMax hacksaw NSW pliers 3 set ( on offer at trade point ) but no 3 bad as it happens

yeh like i said not the best quality but you have the majority of what you need then you replace as you need, the ck bag is ideal im on my second now. the only thing i would really say was crap is the side cutters
Only reason I got rid of the ck bag was because I just couldn't get along with it. (and it never suited me :wink_smile: )

I killed two pairs of those snips cutting the armour off SWA.

Only reason I got rid of the ck bag was because I just couldn't get along with it. (and it never suited me :wink_smile: )

I killed two pairs of those snips cutting the armour off SWA.

serves you right for using them on steel. score half way through with hacksaw, then snap off.

You need to find the tools which YOU like and can use best. As has been demonstrated with this CK kit people keep going on about - some like it, some don't, so you don't want to find you don't get on with CK stuff and have to replace the lot, or find you've got a load of tools you never use.
I would suggest buying basic mid range tools (pliers, hammer, sidecutters etc) such as Stanley or Draper, and as already suggested talk to the other guys you're working with and try their tools to see what you get on with and what you don't.

I could even say the same about screwdrivers - I mainly use a medium CK terminal driver which I think I borrowed off the caretaker when I was at school (so I've had it a while) and a medium pozi which I bought for 99p from Robert Dyas. Other drivers I have are a large slotted driver I bought from the local clearance shop for a quid, a small pozi and small terminal which I bought in a CK set which i rarely use the rest of.
I'm not suggesting these are the best or 'right' drivers, but they're what I use and like. It's down to you to find what tools you like.

I once bought a hacksaw I think was from the pound shop.. Started to hacksaw it first use! AND the hacksaw snapped in two.. Thats right the HACKSAW the blade was still in full tact how crazy is that, that the blade out lasted the actual hacksaw its self ;D!

Reply to Best tools? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock