Discuss Best tools? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

You telling me that when you started off you managed an even score all the way round and didn't have to trim one or two with your snips?

does happen occasionally. in that situation i use the old CK snips that the apprentice once cut through a live 6mm T/E with.

Exactly. And that's exactly what I use mine for too now. I found the handles to be too short anyway as I have quite large hands.

serves you right for using them on steel. score half way through with hacksaw, then snap off.

my £15 pair of wiha snips can easily cut through swa.

don't buy wiha screwdrivers they are not strong enough, was doing a conservatory a while ago and could feel them flexing as i was tightening a self tapping screw into steel (they wouldnt tighten them all the way either, had to grab a bahco i picked up on offer at wholesalers a couple days before).

bahco are a cheap set which seem quite good value for money.

try to find a place near you to try the tools out before you buy though as some are right crap. including 2 pairs off grips that i bought last year that are a waste of time and money.

you will find that with screwdrivers that you might use different brands for different sizes. if you get a stanley, knipex cutters and a set of bahco,irazola screwdrivers that will do you till you start aprentaship

ask the guy's you are with what they recommend, usually you can try what they recommend because the tool is generally in there tool bag.

(sorry for my bad grammar)

Tools that last a lifetime ? with people offering to do CU changes at 150 quid the industry will be on its knees in a couple of years.

Stanley FatMax 28" Waterproof Tool Box | screwflix..com

Proberly the best tool box ive had, it will take a right beating and just laugh at you! it also makes a good hop up and has a v grove right down the lid great for cutting conduit on!

This is what i've started off with an can recommend:

Draper expert vde screwdriver set
Ck 210mm croppers
NWS 180mm vde pliers
Knipex alliagtor grips
Stabila boat level
Cheap claw hammer
Cheap tape measure
Stanley knife
Draper junior hacksaw
Fluke t100 voltage indicator

I would check ebay as you can get some good deals on there if you search about....

I have found you get good and bad in every make best to look and try for yourself the only thing I couldn't be without is my baco snips but even them I am on my third set first set joiner used to cut cable out of the way when I was out on the phone and cable was still live and second set I snapped the jaw on them trying to cut a screw so my fault but I find them great.

I have found you get good and bad in every make best to look and try for yourself the only thing I couldn't be without is my baco snips but even them I am on my third set first set joiner used to cut cable out of the way when I was out on the phone and cable was still live and second set I snapped the jaw on them trying to cut a screw so my fault but I find them great.

i agree with that. i quite like my wiha snips there profesinal ones. coat £20 and can cut screws and all with them.

knipex are better but cost more.

had a set of wiha screwdrivers and frankly there good for diy but if you have a tighy screw they are useless.

knipex alligator grips are really good, cant buy tools over the internet or you will be wasting a lot of money

Stanley FatMax 28" Waterproof Tool Box | screwflix..com

Proberly the best tool box ive had, it will take a right beating and just laugh at you! it also makes a good hop up and has a v grove right down the lid great for cutting conduit on!

Agreed they are a great piece of kit. You can store vast amounts in them too. I liked them so much i bought the 23" one too

I always work on the premise any tool with a cutting blade that needs to stay shape buy the best you can afford, any blunt objects spend as little as possible, ie an apprentice ;) Or bolsters etc :)

I once bought a hacksaw I think was from the pound shop.. Started to hacksaw it first use! AND the hacksaw snapped in two.. Thats right the HACKSAW the blade was still in full tact how crazy is that, that the blade out lasted the actual hacksaw its self ;D!

that happend to my hacksaw as well. it was a crap one that you couldnt keep the blade straight in.

kept tightening it and tightening it. the blade was still loose then snap. the prongs that hold the blade snaped.

lesson learned dont buy tools over the internet unless its a replacement for a tool you own

wouldnt have exspected that with an eclipse hacksaw

the best tools I have had are:

kipnex snips
[h=1]bahco be-9888s 7 pc set [/h]
bosch 10.8v 5 pc tool set

stanley avx 16oz claw hammer

stanley fatmax 8mtr tape

stanley fatmax tool organiser

[h=1]Bahco ergo Better stanley knife[/h]

My advice would be buy the best you can afford at the time,get them marked up so you know they are yours.im still using stuff I bought years ago when I was an apprentice.over the years I've come up with these preferences
pliers Elliot lucas
snips nws combi
screwdivers bahco irazola
padsaw irwin
hacksaw bahco
hammers estwing
im using a set of wiha slim fit drivers just now and find them ok

Reply to Best tools? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock