Discuss Blo*dy Builders!!!!!!!!!!!! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Top Cat

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Called today to do 2nd fix on an extension, 14 downlighters in the ceiling. On 1st fix I spoke to the builder and said leave the cable above ceiling and I will drill the holes. Could you make sure the cables for each light are below the Celotex and could you cut a section of the Celotex away for each light?
No problem he says.
The customer said he did cut out a section of Celotex for each light but they were all in the wrong position! I had done a drawing on the wall with measurements on it!
Spent hours with a pad saw and then more time with an inspection camera trying to find the cables!:mad:

That does not sound like a fun way to spend the day.

On the plus side the weather has been great here and I've been working outside. :p :p

On the plus side the weather has been great here and I've been working out side
Blo*dy Builders!!!!!!!!!!!! {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

yes baby .

I hate it when that happens!

I now get a big fat black marker pen and draw an 8 inch circle with an X in the middle on the ply ceiling to make it real simple for builders to understand exactly where the
Downlighters will be

They still dont get it right all the time though!

Have you considered using the plasterboard indicators?
Trade name ‘plasterspot’
We use them all the time, cost approximately 20p each.
They sound good...red spot after plastering, eh?
Be great if they gave a beep out, too.....for those of us with diminishing eyesight....who can still hear, of course ;)

Another system I have used is to put red tape around the cables that are to be poked out through the plasterboard, the rest stay up behind.
Simple solutions for simple tradesmen :tearsofjoy:

The customer said he did cut out a section of Celotex for each light but they were all in the wrong position! I had done a drawing on the wall with measurements on it!
Bleedin' 'ell TC...….don't tell me you drew a drawing on the wall..... where he side stacked the plasterboard...….:oops:

I insist on drilling the holes before skimming or i am not liable for making good later (the plasterers i use do not mind the holes being about but some the builders use do)
Our LABC are starting to crack down on holes in the celotex above downlights to stop cold spot and are requiring at least 100mm above the fitting.
ie 100mm between the timbers 50mm counter batten then 50mm celotex.......... so far depends on the inspector

Working with builders I approved the first fix plan. They put it all in (kind of) Left two switch drops behind the new walls. And...took a supply from a rose with only a switched live in it. Told them we need a supply from another rose. If looks could have killed (it was of course all my fault!) They had to take part of the roof off to get the supply in, I was not very popular for some reason:cool:

Years back I worked with an electrician who would, in these situations, just bash out the ceiling with his claw hammer to find the cables. I used to cringe whilst watching him do this and once asked him why he was so rough.
He replied with -

"Its not my problem, if the builder can't be arsed to follow simple instructions, but he'll dam well try a bit harder next time when he see's this mess he's got to put right!" "If you play nice the builder/s will just think its ok to carry on being slap dash leaving it up to us to sort out."

I got the feeling he had had enough of mopping up after crap tradespeople.

Reply to Blo*dy Builders!!!!!!!!!!!! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock