Discuss Bonding tutorial in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Hellmooth

-
Esteemed
Reaction score
As a general rule, if you can touch an electrical appliance or switch at the same time as touching absolutely anything at all with metal on it, it needs to be attached to the main earthing wire to ensure it is safe and the risk of electric shocks are reduced. There are two ways to do this job and ensure that your copper pipes are safe. This includes attaching to an earth terminal in a socket, or to a pipe that has already been earthed and has an unbroken connection to the earth terminal in the consumer unit. Follow these steps to bond earth wires to copper pipes:

As a general rule, if you can touch an electrical appliance or switch at the same time as touching absolutely anything at all with metal on it, it needs to be attached to the main earthing wire to ensure it is safe and the risk of electric shocks are reduced. There are two ways to do this job and ensure that your copper pipes are safe. This includes attaching to an earth terminal in a socket, or to a pipe that has already been earthed and has an unbroken connection to the earth terminal in the consumer unit. Follow these steps to bond earth wires to copper pipes:

where did you copy and paste that garbage from?

edit: question answered while i was posting.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Its a genius marketing ploy. Give out misleading information, wait for DIY Dave to mess it up, he calls someone off unratedplonkers to sort it out.

mind boggling and dangerous. e.g. shaver socket. no mention of where to take supply from. no mention of earthing/bonding, testing or RCD protection. as they say, a little knowledge is dangerous.

Ouch! I've alerted them to the problem, see what happens...

None AFAIK. Some of the nonsense like that makes it appear to be deliberate misdirection.

If you want a laugh, here are some more from the same source (I've not read them all):

Adding a power socket - DIY guide

Cable sizes, kilowatts and amp ratings - Home

Converting a radial circuit to a ring circuit - DIY guide

Installing a shaver socket - DIY guide

I get the impression that these have been written for another country, but which one uses red, black and blue for L, N & E?

Edit: Just read a few more, they're just as bad.

Just skim read the converting radial to ring... BLIMEY!! Here's a great quote from it:
So if you plan to convert a radial circuit with a 30 amp circuit to a ring circuit with 20 amp circuit, then you’ll need to upgrade the fuse from 20 to 30 amps

I hope their various subscribers do not use these, ahem, cough, guides to do installs...

Reply to Bonding tutorial in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net