Discuss Bourbon, Rum and other deliciousness in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

jonnyb

-
Reaction score
Over the last 5 0r so years I've really got into Bourbon (can be a bit of a pain getting hold of good stuff and we pay a premium in the UK compared to the US) and just starting to get into nice rum. Anyone else enjoy a tipple? I've never been a scotch fan, though I do quite like some of the Irish whisky. Anyone got any recommendations.

i am partial to a good rum... there is a group of blokes round this way who make their own spirits, own gin, rum and vodka in the case of one who is estonian.
I have a weakness for a good cocktail with rum in.. cant be a mailbu sunrise cocktail on a warm evening.

I like a nice sipping bourbon or rum, maybe with ice. My logic being, if it's nice and a bit pricey I won't drink too much (quality over quantity and all that). It doesn't always go to plan!

Bajan Estate rum, Wray & Nephews white rum, Appleton Estate Rum. The first can be bought exclusively at M&S only and is authentic, the latter is a very poor shadow of authentic Jamaican/Trindadian rum. However a very good tipple nonetheless. I enjoy my Appleton in guinness known as a steel bottom in the JA community.

Pirate's Grog Number 13 wicked bit of kit. Edited before because I remembered the Rum, but had to google it to find its right name, soon as I saw the bottle memories come flooding back.

after a session with ex navy mate 5 years ago. 10 rounds of Wood's Navy Rum (doubles) each chased by a pint of JW Lees bitter, in the RAF club @ Colwyn Bay, picking him up off the floor 3 or 4 times, never touched rum since.

after a session with ex navy mate 5 years ago. 10 rounds of Wood's Navy Rum (doubles) each chased by a pint of JW Lees bitter, in the RAF club @ Colwyn Bay, picking him up off the floor 3 or 4 times, never touched rum since.
Stolichnaya Vodka, when I was posted to Moscow the Local Guys gave me a welcome party, Vodka right out of the freezer, on an empty Stomach, not a good idea, they reckoned Vodka unfrozen so to speak was a ------- drink, I likened it ti Vodka Treacle.

I like rum, whiskey, bourbon, gin, vodka (the non anti-freeze type), brandy, sherry, tequila (only tried it a few times), cognac (only as a gift). Ohh and beer & wine, and cider. Even like that Limoncello. Don't dig champagne though, vastly overrated. :confused:

I like rum, whiskey, bourbon, gin, vodka (the non anti-freeze type), brandy, sherry, tequila (only tried it a few times), cognac (only as a gift). Ohh and beer & wine, and cider. Even like that Limoncello. Don't dig champagne though, vastly overrated. :confused:
So a bit of a P55s head on the quiet?:D

When i visited Moldova with an ex girlfriend to visit her family they had various local moonshines.... along the lines of vodka, made with locally grown grains. they drank it neat and the stuff was potent...
not sure on the percentage but the fumes alone were enough to get you light headed.

Stolichnaya Vodka, when I was posted to Moscow the Local Guys gave me a welcome party, Vodka right out of the freezer, on an empty Stomach, not a good idea, they reckoned Vodka unfrozen so to speak was a ------- drink, I likened it ti Vodka Treacle.
Too true shot glass also out of the freezer, was in a bar in Gdansk years back and gut walks in to the bar and asked for a large vodka so the barman pulls out a 100ml shot glass and asks him what does he want as a chaser, he says another one, so he downs the 100ml shot in one then sips on the second one. Thats 8 UK measures........

If ever in London pop down to Gerrys in Soho,

Gerry's Wines & Spirits - Buy wines and spirits online at gerrys.uk.com - https://www.gerrys.uk.com

Gave up on the rum...gin's my tipple now, I think because The Royal Navy guys who kept capturing me plied me with pink gin to get me to talk...and hand over my Treasure Map.
So many excellent gins out there, but a lot of the newer designer ones are stupidly expensive, and too arty-farty for their own good.
shopping

This is my favourite everyday one, Xoriguer from Mahon. Not the strongest, but you can drink it all day...

I was very lucky and managed to get a bottle of Old Weller Antique 107 bourbon not long back off Amazon. Its one of the best drinks I've had and it's only about 35dollars in the us, just impossible to get over here. Rum wise I'm a fan of the Appleton 12 yr.

Reply to Bourbon, Rum and other deliciousness in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net