Discuss Brexit fallout in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Marvo

-
Staff member
Mod
Mentor
Esteemed
Supporter
Reaction score
So the UK, against the odds, actually voted to leave the EU. Definitely a bold move that caught a lot of people off guard.

It's the first day of the divorce and so far the fallout seems to be as follows;

The markets are volatile, just about every stock exchange saw large losses (over $2.1 trillion in value lost in stocks globally). Even the Dow Jones was 500 ish points down on the day.
Brexit fallout untitled2 - EletriciansForums.net

Moodies has immediately re-rated the UK economy as 'negative outlook'.

The UK Pound took about an 8% dive in value which will mean inflation increases will follow.

Oh yeah....and Prime Minister Cameron has stepped down.

Quite a day, so what now? It's going to be interesting times.

I'm not sure what the pound is sitting at now, the stock figures above were at todays close I think so the FTSE is down 200 points or 3.15%.

I don't think the markets were ready for the referendum results, it sounded like everyone had talked themselves into believing the UK would stay in for some reason so I don't think there had been any 'factoring in' done to the markets for a UK exit, hence the massive volatility.

I had a couple of stocks and shares ISAs with Legal & General which rose to the highest they've been in ages.
I cashed them in.
Let's see what happens tomorrow - maybe I've made the wrong decision.

Cameron and the so called experts in have had their heads buried in the sand to long and have not listened to people and their discontent when it came to the EU.

No doubt DC will have something lined up like Blair did so won't be out of pocket

Cameron and the so called experts in have had their heads buried in the sand to long and have not listened to people and their discontent when it came to the EU.

No doubt DC will have something lined up like Blair did so won't be out of pocket

Blair knew what he was doing and had a plan, Cameron made a massive gamble that backfired and effected the world ..Ill let you think on that point again ;)

I'm not convinced that he EU expected the result either.... Just goes to show the longer you live and work in a ivory tower, the more out of touch you get!

I for one am excited for what's to come over the upcoming months and years. It'll force the uk economy and country to adapt and hopefully grow. We've jumped off the cliff and now we need to learn to fly.

Think this is going to be a very long thread!

The point of the Armageddon scenarios, if they do materialise (I sincerely hope they don't), is they will happen over the course of time, and not because we just had the result of the referendum.

They will not happen (if they do) until we actually leave or start to leave when whoever is PM (God forbid its Boris!), hits the 'Article 50' button.

What's happening now, is the fear of the unknown. Dare I say all those figures will go back to near normal early next week.

It's in the future and years to come, when we'll know for sure what's gonna happen, and we ain't been there for some time. Personally, I voted to stay. But I'm quite satisfied a decision has been made, least we can put all this uncertainty & disagreement behind us and move on. Our destiny has been decided.

As I said in the other thread, Scotland will probably have another referendum and leave the UK (imo), along perhaps with NI. They will be a general election in England & Wales, and London might declare self rule!

Last edited:
Cynically the 'Stock Brokers' will use any excuse to buy cheap and make their killing in a few weeks.
It is the nature of the beast.

Last edited:
Cynically the 'Stock Brokers' will use any excuse to buy cheap and make their killing in a few weeks.
It is the nature of the beast.

Not cynical at all to buy stuff when it's cheap. We all do it. Just good business.

If the local wholesaler has a special offer on cable, I'd go for it, but I'd probably be charging my customers the usual price.

Last edited:
Not cynical at all to buy stuff when it's cheap. We all do it. Just good business.

If the local wholesaler has a special offer on cable, I'd go for it, but I'd probably be charging my customers the usual price.
now that is good business, but you don't destroy peoples pensions by doing it. the stockbrokers do and yhey don't give a ---- who they ruin as long as they can make a killing for themselves.

now that is good business, but you don't destroy peoples pensions by doing it. the stockbrokers do and yhey don't give a ---- who they ruin as long as they can make a killing for themselves.

A bit of short term trading on the markets isn't going to have any significant effect on people's pensions; these are multi-decade investments. Much more relevant is the ongoing profitability of the companies that are invested in, producing regular increasing dividends and long term capital growth.

wondering whats the plan with 3 million EU people already here (including me). Most likely visas, fees, stamps, documents...

My understanding is that anybody resident here continues as before. Any restrictions will only affect "new comers" arriving after an as yet, specified date...

Not sure that statement is true. But unless your Florence Nightingale, to suggest we are all innocent of guilt, is deceiving themselves. Never seen a competitors quote and undercut it? Never been tempted to buy fake products off ebay, or some cheap stuff down the pub, or 'do you do cash?'. Not sure I could be so pure.

Reply to Brexit fallout in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock