Discuss Brexit fallout in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I laughed yesterday when I read these two posts because I thought you were joking. It was only this afternoon watching the news when I learned that you weren't.

**speechless**

Im willing to give him a chance, although he's got the tongue of a cheeky schoolkid which has led him to be painted as the baffoon, he is a very intelligent bloke and speaks several languages, he has a very healthy relationship with many countries, excluding the EU as he's not exactly there favourite at the moment lol.
I liked the clip of Labour challenger Eagle who was mocking boris the other night when she was interupted and told he was now the F.S. ... her reaction was funny.

I laughed yesterday when I read these two posts because I thought you were joking. It was only this afternoon watching the news when I learned that you weren't.

**speechless** You couldn't make this stuff up if you tried. Boris Johnson........foreign secretary.....I'm truly speechless. I bet the politicians in the EU are really looking forward to welcoming and embracing him is his new role.

Boris may have his "issues" but there are very few people on the Conservative bench with his skill with languages and don't forget 8 years as London Major will have brought him into contact with countless foreign officials.

BJ will bring a breath of fresh air into parliament. his skin deep appearance as a buffoon is a smokescreen, hiding a wealth if intelligence. a bit like some of us on here. lol. :44:

BJ will bring a breath of fresh air into parliament. his skin deep appearance as a buffoon is a smokescreen, hiding a wealth if intelligence. a bit like some of us on here. lol. :44:
It's a tactic which seems to work - nobody has a problem with a buffoon but they might feel threatened or just irritated by a know-it-all.
I expect we've all worked with someone who has an answer for everything, someone who tries to take charge when they haven't got a clue, someone who pretends to know more than they do, etc, and they're rarely popular on site.
Everyone likes the guy who fools around in a non-threatening way and makes everybody laugh.

It's a tactic which seems to work - nobody has a problem with a buffoon but they might feel threatened or just irritated by a know-it-all.
I expect we've all worked with someone who has an answer for everything, someone who tries to take charge when they haven't got a clue, someone who pretends to know more than they do, etc, and they're rarely popular on site.
Everyone likes the guy who fools around in a non-threatening way and makes everybody laugh.
It might be a tactic that works in some work team environments or in a pub but I'm not sure a bunch of humourless EU politicians he's just given the middle finger to are going to be particularly enamored by his buffoonish nature.

It might be a tactic that works in some work team environments or in a pub but I'm not sure a bunch of humourless EU politicians he's just given the middle finger to are going to be particularly enamored by his buffoonish nature.
Not everything is about the EU though - there's another guy in charge of the Breferexit stuff, and there's a good chance much of the rest of the world will be glad that the UK is no longer restricted to EU-approved trading.
It could well be that politicians in fact do appreciate a sense of humour, but have difficulty expressing one of their own.

You are right with the personal opinions but lucky for the UK we have the strongest hand and regardless of all the surface media that mocks him, the trade deals are beyond all that and no country will risk economic hardship to prove a point. France has a 12billion deficit trade with us, Frances President has been very vocal as have other EU members that we are going to be treated hard and not given a easy ride, but at a meeting today with us in the french parliment, they were virtually begging for our continued trade and friendship, considering their goverment are up for Elections as is Germany too, none of them would want to see 10's of thousands (france) to hundreds of thousands (germany) job losses by playing hardball.

The EU is trying to save face and avoid a domino effect, it needs to vocally appear to express we are going to suffer for leaving but behind the curtain that is far from the truth, its a catch 22 for all of us, if we vocally express the deals we get then the EU would suffer reputationally and their stock market would plummet further than it already has. this would effect our trade too so not entirely in our interest, if the EU express how harsh they are treating our brexit then it will eventually be proven as a gimmick as our world trade relations strengthen, the enemy for the EU is time as eventually as is happening, each member country will stand up against the EU machine through its population, this cannot be allowed to happen so guess what will happen next and is already in discussion ... New legislation and regulation that prevents member states using public opinion (democracy) to leave the EU, it would only be allowed through goverment majority and given that the EU has most countries over a barrel then this could not happen anymore.

:grouphug:

Time will tell mid' but considering most of the gloom and doom hasn't happened and only the expected dip in the FT100 that occured and recovered in 1 day and the pound which is now recovering well actually happend then there is little credibilty in the leaves scaremongering thus far... even the BoE which was one of the biggest doom forecasters has revealed the protective measures it had that would ensure we would be able to ride any financial fallout that occured, strange how they forgot to mention this in the campaign instead of saying new recession and tax rises etc..

If the BoE was worried about our position then they wouldn't have left interest rates as they were and instead reduced further to boost investment and growth, this is another catch 22, reduce interest rates and the world see you are worried and need to bolster the economy, do nothing and you loose face to all the gloom you said would happen if we left, luckily for us they are not stupid enough to bite their nose to spite their face and also realise that most people out there are ruddy clueless so under the smoke screen of all the political mayhem they play their cards.

Last edited:
You right darkwood, only time will tell. The prospect of Armageddon, may have been unwarranted, we shall find out. The only issue I have with your argument at the moment, regarding the current state of the pound & economics, is we are still in the EU. We will have to wait until we actually leave to see the effect, and then it might be a few years, before we see how things pan out.

As for Boris. It's interesting how some people in this country view him and how people outside the UK do, as in Marvo's case. I was listening to views of different foreign correspondents on how their country think of him. The only positive one was the US, as he was the only British politician most Americans could name, cos he appeared on some chat show.
He's bigged himself up, now's his chance to step up to the plate.

Boris has a bit of a media lagacy for his foolery and baffoonism (if that's a word) and in the modern world of social media and global news then it's not just the UK that are witness to this, what you will find is those that have actually met him and talk about serious subject matter over the table do hold him in high respect, the rest just play comment and opinion on what they have been fed over the years by the media, you can tell who he's met and done business with because they describe a very different Boris to that we all witness, it's like I told a mate the other night to his surprise that he is multilingual and very well educated, he thought I was joking so it goes to show how media shape opinions and is often used for political gain, well that is until the public see through the lies and stand up against the machine ;)

Reply to Brexit fallout in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock