Discuss BS 3871 mcb on EICR in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all,

Do you know when BS 3871 Type 2 MCB's where not allowed to be fitted to a new circuit?

How should they be recorded on a EICR, as a BS 3871 Type 2 or BS 60898 Type B?

On the EICR they have been recorded as the latter.

Many thanks

B

BS3871 was superseded by EN60898 in 1991. You record BS3871 because that is the standard they were manufactured to not EN60898.
Type 2 and Type B have totally different tripping characteristics, the only similarity is that BS3871 Type 3 and EN60898 Type C have the same characteristics.

Thanks,

So if that circuit was installed in say 2008 then that breaker should not have been installed.

It should be recorded as BS3871 on the EICR as well then.

please correct me If I'm wrong.

Thanks

B

You record whatever breaker it is, you cant just use another breakers BS number.

I wouldn't be giving a code purely on the basis of it being a BS3871, even if it was installed after 1991.

Thanks for your replies.

I'm not a sparky, just a bit of a fed up landlord trying to sort out a rather poorly completed EICR and is being ignored by the contractor who expects payment in full for a report that I think is not worth anything.

I'm just trying to sort things out correctly. The EICR was for "All fixed wiring" with 1 three phase circuit in the agreed limitations, which was actually tested and data provided!

At the moment out of 3 DB's 1 Main and two sub mains there are 9 three phase circuits and 24 single phase circuits. On the EICR it shows 2 circuits with the correct circuitry and test data, 4 circuits have some data but is either incorrect or missing ie Incorrect Line or CPC csa, short circuit capacity, protective device type or rating. 1 has circuitry information but no test data and the last two have LIM in the circuit description.

I'm still working my way through the single phase stuff that's why I'm asking about the BS3871 on the EICR it has been put down as a EN60898 Type B just another thing on a even longer list and before anyone says anything the person was there for 3 days and had full access and it wasn't cheap!!

Thanks

B

tell landlord to withhold payment for the EICR and get a 2nd opinion.

If the contractor is part of a scheme, they should have a documented complaints procedure.
ask them for a copy of it,

put your complaint down in writing and email it to them, give a timeframe that you expect a response by.

James

They're NICEIC, I wrote to them once to tell them that the report was missing data and incorrect, I wrote to them again, recorded delivery with the first letter, and offered them to correct the EICR produce a new one or issue a credit note and gave them a time period to do so. I had a reply of please pay by a certain date and if you can't please phone and speak to the MD. My letters where all addressed to the MD and I made it clear the reason why I was withholding payment.

Thanks

B

Phone and speak to the MD and tell him straight. Tell him you want the Qualified Supervisor (as per certificate) on site to inspect and compare the paperwork with the installation.
If what you say is true, they haven't got a leg to stand on.

Last edited:

Reply to BS 3871 mcb on EICR in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net