Discuss BT Telephone and Broadband in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi. Since the bad weather yesterday evening, we lost both telephone (i.e. no dial tone), and broadband. The cable comes up the wall outside, into a plastic box which serves both ourselves and our neighbour. 2 wires are connected inside the box, which goes through the wall to our BT Openreach master socket about 30 cm away indoors. I opened the box outside, and remade the 2 connections using jelly connectors after which, the broadband has returned. However, we still have no dial tone on the telephone. Does broadband rely on 2 wires, or does it work on only 1 wire ? We have no internal wiring, and the connections in the BT Openreach master socket are fine. Have also tried changing the splitter / filter with no joy. Any ideas ? Seems strange to me that we have internet but no voice.

Have you reported the fault. They’re normally pretty good at checking the line. We had a phone problem a couple of months back and the broadband was fine. Like you, just the two conductors.

had similar.wa sinternal wiring on about 4 slave sockets, cables over carpet gripper etc. dissed the lot, using cordless extension phones now, and service restored. your problem could be tthe incoming service. get openreach to check it .

Report the phone problem - don't bother reporting the broadband problem. Reason for that is that phone problems are dealt with by a different system and have better response times.
Likely there's a bad connection somewhere that's stopping the DC line power for the phone getting through. The reson the broadband is working is that the higher frequencies can "jump" a tiny gap, and to an extent work(ish) with only one wire connected.
But before you call to report a fault, remove the lower half of the master socket face place (older design of NTE), or remove the service specific face plate (newer design of NTE), or just unplug everything from the master socket (really old master sockets). Then test using a known good phone - if in doubt, pop round to a friend/neighbour and test the phone.
One o the questions you'll be asked is whether you've done that - so you might as well do it first, if you haven't then they'll tell you to do it and call back.

How did you get on?

OP
You opened the box and remade the connection?
Don’t tell them that when you report the fault.

Does your neighbour, who shares this box have a working line?

Reply to BT Telephone and Broadband in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net