Discuss Cable crimping and cutting tools in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

W

Werner Bestmann

Hello everybody,

I’m new at a cable assembling company which wants to purchase battery powered cable crimping and cutting tools.
Somehow it’s difficult to find relevant information about these tools on the manufacturer’s webpages. I’d like to participate in the purchasing discussion of my new employer to make a good impression as a newbie :).
The information I’m looking for is:

1. They’re thinking about purchasing 6t (60kN) or 12t (120kN) crimping tools. But isn’t it possible to crimp cable-shoes twice with 6t to get the same result as with a 12t crimp (in case the diameter allows it)?
  2. What is the life span of such tools with average usage? (Obviously the battery has to be replaced after a while).
  3. What manufacturers produce good quality tools with good value for money?

Or maybe you have an idea of where I can find all these information?

Thank you very much. Kind regards,
Werner

But isn’t it possible to crimp cable-shoes twice with 6t to get the same result as with a 12t crimp (in case the diameter allows it)?

No. Repeating a crimp cycle won't crimp it any more. If you use an undersize tool you just won't get satisfactory results.

Thank you all for your quick answers.

Question 3: I think that question is answered, thank you :)

Question 2: Does anyone has an idea???

Question 1:

No. Repeating a crimp cycle won't crimp it any more. If you use an undersize tool you just won't get satisfactory results.

That makes sense. But what about repeating the second crimp next to the first one? Here are two examples:
http://www.klauke.com/typo3temp/pics/e9294b3c8e.jpg
http://www.klauke.com/typo3temp/pics/4fc0b0540e.jpg

Crimps on aluminium cables are made several times, solid shaped is 3 times per lug, stranded aluminium is dependant on lug manufacturer, copper lugs should only be crimped once

Concerning the lugs/cable shoes. What do you think is used more often, in general?
a) Compression cable lugs/shoes DIN 46235,
b) Tubular/tube cable lugs/shoes
c) Screw connectors

Reply to Cable crimping and cutting tools in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net