Discuss cable jointing in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

C

cctbreaker

OK guys, what jointing method do you recommend for inaccessible joint that will be in a chased out wall ie plastered over? Is crimping and heat shrink sleeving ok? or do you use the compound liquid jointy things? or summat else?

On the kitchen re-wires i did we had to thru crimp the old ring at high level and then put blanking plate on as all connections have to be accessible.

I thought it was removable connections that had to be accessible - like screw terminals.:confused: Didn't think a crimp needed to be. What I was concerned about was protecting the crimp and sealing the joint.

Crimp and heat shrink is an acceptable method of cable jointing.

However, screw connections MUST be available for inspection.

Have a look in the regs. Its all in there.

I hope im not nit-picking here, but doesn't plaster have a resistance?. What im trying to say is if you crimp the connection with normal insulated crimps and the plaster over the joint, we all know that plaster is partially solid - liquid and can cover the joint fully creating a connection between
L - N , L - E or N-E etc hense giving a small leakage current.

Bit of feedback please

Through crimps and heat shrink tube are fine. If you stagger the Line-Neutral -earth connections it makes the whole joint smaller, then you can use the heat shrink on the individual connections and slide a larger piece over the whole lot therefore doubling the insulation!

I hope im not nit-picking here, but doesn't plaster have a resistance?. What im trying to say is if you crimp the connection with normal insulated crimps and the plaster over the joint, we all know that plaster is partially solid - liquid and can cover the joint fully creating a connection between
L - N , L - E or N-E etc hense giving a small leakage current.

Bit of feedback please

Heatshrink, if applied correctly will prevent this from happening normally.

I like that suggestion dazza69 :cool: Never thought of that -I'll remember that one.

I was just a bit concerned that heat shrink sleeving is so thin compared with the pvc sheathing and may not be acceptable sheathing for installing in damp plaster. Anyway, has to be better than one job I saw which was a definite nono. It used a terminal block wrapped in tape!:eek:

Cable jointing, are you having a laugh? Solid core should never ever be 'crimped' (mind you the test bunnies will never know) -:

its a long running discussion...personally I dont like it but have done it once, it is acceptable by NIC but the old school were taught it was a big no no

At college we were told that you should only crimp multi core/stranded, as single core can become loose. Although I have seen crimps specifically for solid core, I think?

Ive never had a problem with crimping solid core. If you use the correct size crimp makes a big difference. Usually the blue through crimps do a good job for 1.5 / 2.5mm.

One thing I got pulled on the other day,that I didnt know,the crimps have their own rating,therefore,I had used a blue on 2.5 t+e,to be told it was rated at 20 amps,and should have been the yellow one.
So,is in the ceiling void considered accessable?

I'm of the old school on this one. Crimps, regardless of size should be used on multi-strand cables. I base this on having seen many loose crimps on single stand cables. I am led to believe that the push fit connectors that are becoming available are deemed to be acceptable in non accessible areas but they are not exactly an in line device.

This is from the Hagar website.
When installed in accordance with manufacturer’s instructions in a circuit complying with BS 7671, the Ashley Maintenance Free Junction Box does not require further inspection, testing and maintenance and therefore enables compliance with regulation 526.3.
In addition to the above tests the Ashley Maintenance Free Junction Box complies with BS EN 60670-22 which covers Junction boxes.

Last edited:
Interesting info about the Ashley jb's.Ill look into them.

I was pulled on the crimp rating issue on my elecsa inspection,appparently blues are rated at 20amp,which seems odd,as we all know,2.5t+e is rated at max 27 amp.

so is a ceiling void regarded as accessable?Ill have a look in the regs.

You should really be raggling out a box and using chocolate block or some other form of screw connector.

As some others have said never crimp a solid core as it can work loose or if incorrectly crimped you can shear the solid core, cause arcing and ultimately an electrical fire.

If stranded and your using crimps, please make sure your crimp correctly.

The bain of my life is replacing incorrectly crimped crimps :mad:

Correctly applied crimps applied with a ratchet crimping tool do not 'work loose'.

Why do you think they are used extensively i this industry?

Screw connections should not be used where the joint will not be accessible for inspection.

I have never found a loose crimp, however i have found plenty of loose screw connections.

Reply to cable jointing in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock