Discuss cable jointing in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Well said jasons6930. I have used and inspected through crimps on single core cables and (as yet) have never encountered any problems! I would like one of the "old school boys" to answer the question on how they would repair or extend any cable which has to be buried into plaster work. Are they saying that they would rerun the entire circuit?

Correctly applied crimps applied with a ratchet crimping tool do not 'work loose'.

Why do you think they are used extensively i this industry?

Screw connections should not be used where the joint will not be accessible for inspection.

I have never found a loose crimp, however i have found plenty of loose screw connections.

First off IMO this joint should be made with srewed connections in a raggled out box with blanking plate to allow inspection. Straight through crimps do not allow this and do not allow the remaking of the crimp if improperly done.

Correctly applied crimps used with a ratchet crimping tool can work loose, especially in an enviroment with vibration.

Iv found quite a few loose crimps as well as loose connections.

Also in the industrial side of things you should never connect bare terminals into screwed connections that arent clamped, and even then it is good practise to use crimps.

The crimps im referring to are pins, forks, spades and 1 holed crimps like these. I prefer bootlaced crimps when using flexible stranded cable.

Polycarbonate Insulated Terminals

OK guys, what jointing method do you recommend for inaccessible joint that will be in a chased out wall ie plastered over? Is crimping and heat shrink sleeving ok? or do you use the compound liquid jointy things? or summat else?

I work for 3M and we have a solution for you that provides effective insulation without the need to use a heat gun to shrink heat shrink tubing or indeed have handle messy compound resins. It's called Cold Shrink and is basically a pre-stretched rubber/silicone tube loaded onto a coiled plastic core that is easily removed in seconds.

Here is a data sheet for the product:
http://multimedia.mmm.com/mws/mediaw...666OYrCOrrrrQ-

Here is the link to the RS site where you can purchase it:
Welcome to rswww.com Your search for cold shrink

Let us know how you get on

Last edited by a moderator:
I work for 3M and we have a solution for you that provides effective insulation without the need to use a heat gun to shrink heat shrink tubing or indeed have handle messy compound resins. It's called Cold Shrink and is basically a pre-stretched rubber/silicone tube loaded onto a coiled plastic core that is easily removed in seconds.

Here is a data sheet for the product:
http://multimedia.mmm.com/mws/mediaw...666OYrCOrrrrQ-

Here is the link to the RS site where you can purchase it:
Welcome to rswww.com Your search for cold shrink

Let us know how you get on

Once you figure out how to get your coiled plastic core to uncoil without snapping or snagging unecissarily will it be recommended.

Have to use these all the time at work and you need to order almost 1 1/2 - 2 times what you require due to the fact that these "easily removed" cores aint so great.

Maybe its just a bad batch we get all the time but hey. :rolleyes:

Also provide a better copper spring or even better 2 different sizes as not all cables fit inside your 1,2 and 3 box sizes. :mad:

Seems the link appears to be broken -
Oops! This link appears broken.

Maybe I'm not clicking my mouse button properly. Lol. I am intrigued in the product though.

I have always been told that cables been sunk into a wall should be run in conduit or capping. Maybe that is more of a recommendation than anything else.

Once you figure out how to get your coiled plastic core to uncoil without snapping or snagging unecissarily will it be recommended.

Have to use these all the time at work and you need to order almost 1 1/2 - 2 times what you require due to the fact that these "easily removed" cores aint so great.

Maybe its just a bad batch we get all the time but hey. :rolleyes:

Also provide a better copper spring or even better 2 different sizes as not all cables fit inside your 1,2 and 3 box sizes. :mad:

Thanks for the feedback. While we sell 1000's of these products annually, we are always looking to make improvements to our products and your comments have been taken on board. Can you confirm you are using the 3M ''LC'' Range of LV Cold Shrink joints? If that is the case then I would be interested in receiving a more comprehensive account of the problems you encounter when using our products, perhaps off line in the form of a separate email / telephone call / personal call. If you would be happy to do this then please let me know.

Thanks

Seems the link appears to be broken -
Oops! This link appears broken.

Maybe I'm not clicking my mouse button properly. Lol. I am intrigued in the product though.

I have always been told that cables been sunk into a wall should be run in conduit or capping. Maybe that is more of a recommendation than anything else.

Don't know what happened there :confused:

Try this link: http://multimedia.mmm.com/mws/mediawebserver.dyn?6666660Zjcf6lVs6EVs666OYrCOrrrrQ-

If that still doesn't work then visit 3M Electrical Supplies and Components and go to 'Technical Data Sheets' in the 'Document Download Centre' on the left hand navigation

Any Q's please shout :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Heres my old school comment on crimping

Whilst I personally would find some means of fitting a box with a blanking plate for inspection
I find the comments on crimping stranded cores only, to be probably true, with regard to being loose or vibration affecting them, but if the crimp is carried out correctly with the correct ratchet type tool then I defy any of you to loosen detatch or disturb the joint of any solid core crimping that I carried out
There is absolutely nothing wrong with crimping solid cores. the problem exists only when the person doing the work is at fault

Not seen anything about not crimping solid core. Also thought crimping was only alternative to inaccesable joints. eg under flooring anybody got any sources for this ??

Point of intrest Maplins do a heat shrink with internal glue. {heat activated} thier spec suggestes this makes the joint moisture tight.

Tried these things that City's(CEF) were giving away.They are like the scotch locks that BT use,filled with silicone,to terminate cables and they seem great and they're permanent connections allowed to be buried in walls,17th edition apparently

Ah but red crimp not able to carry same current as blue crimp...but if i bend in half it may go blue....:eek:)

ok lets put this joke to bed.:eek:)

joking aside , anybody used the new push fit connectors ? wago or hager ashley connectors [i know spelling incorrect ]but if you have used them you know what i'm talking about.

T

Reply to cable jointing in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock