Discuss Cable size. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello all,
Is there a general "rule of thumb" for the size of cable needed for an electric shower or is the answer as always "it depends"?
In short can I use 6mm cable (already installed) to supply a 8.5Kw shower.
thanks in advance

Gerry

Hi Gerry

The way to work it out is divide the demand by the voltage 8500w/230 =36.95A then look at the current carrying capacity of your cable 6mm radial 32A 10mm radial 42A.

I always recommned 10mm that way if the change the shower for a more powerful one it is still ok

Hope that helps

Chris

Hello all,
Is there a general "rule of thumb" for the size of cable needed for an electric shower or is the answer as always "it depends"?
In short can I use 6mm cable (already installed) to supply a 8.5Kw shower.
thanks in advance

Gerry
hi gerry,
depends on the length of run but 6mm is normally fine

my personal rule of thumb is to always install 10mm
be on the safe side
some one might replace a 8.5kw shower with a 10.5

Last edited:
In answer to your query 6mm wil be fine.

On a new install I only use 10mm now, theres no telling what type of shower the client will come up with sometimes.

Fluckey whats the chances of Gerry clipping a 10mm T&E direct round his bathroom????? Slimm i think more than likely in the wall dont you agree?
and wouldnt that be clipped direct then?? without knowing the site it is hard to comment but an 8.5kw shower on 6mm cable is fine for 99% of installs ;)

just read your post again scot, reckon you should read the op again, who mentioned 10mm :confused:

Last edited:
No Flukey clipped direct isnt in a wall read the BRB If its in the wall is refrence method 100 - 103 if tis T&E ans as such ther is derating factors.

As for cable size its irrelevent i dont think Gerry would hav either size "clipped direct" and on show for everyone to see in his bathroom.

No Flukey clipped direct isnt in a wall read the BRB If its in the wall is refrence method 100 - 103 if tis T&E ans as such ther is derating factors.

As for cable size its irrelevent i dont think Gerry would hav either size "clipped direct" and on show for everyone to see in his bathroom.
oh dear scot. you need to read the BRB properly. the reference methods you quote are for stud walls and ceilings containing thermal insulation. move along a column :rolleyes:
standard construction houses (brick/block) where cables are buried in walls and plastered over are reference method C clipped direct :rolleyes:
not sure how you know what sort of walls are in the op as neither am i but i would say its standard construction as he hasnt mentioned insulation :rolleyes:
suggest you ask the op first to confirm your suspicions or read up on the BRB, a good page to start would be 264 ;)

Last edited:
think you will find that "clipped direct" includes embedded in plaster etc....... 100-103 only covers hollow/stud/cavities and on plasterboard ceilings

oh dear scot. you need to read the BRB properly. the reference methods you quote are for stud walls and ceilings containing thermal insulation. move along a column :rolleyes:
standard construction houses (brick/block) where cables are buried in walls and plastered over are reference method C clipped direct :rolleyes:
not sure how you know what sort of walls are in the op as neither am i but i would say its standard construction as he hasnt mentioned insulation :rolleyes:
suggest you ask the op first to confirm your suspicions or read up on the BRB, a good page to start would be 264 ;)

think you will find that "clipped direct" includes embedded in plaster etc....... 100-103 only covers hollow/stud/cavities and on plasterboard ceilings

Agreed. It was stated 3 weeks ago!

Reply to Cable size. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock