Discuss Cables Earthed on Pylon in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Can anyone explain why the high voltage cables on this pylon appear to be earthed at the pylon? It's on the north side of the M60 at Stockport. 53°24'24.3"N 2°11'21.7"W
See attached.

Regards,

Charles

Cables Earthed on Pylon Pylon - EletriciansForums.net

I can't see the bond to pylon myself but I believe that at times when they are working on cables (power off) they sometimes bond them to earth to prevent static build up

If the farside left cables are earthed to the pylon it would be because they are not in use.
The farside right cables look to be connected across the the nearside right.

James is correct, circuits are earthed when people are working on them to protect against induced voltages and isolation failures.
What the picture shows however is the jumpers bolted to the steel tower, this is done on out of use circuits.
Incidentally a linesman was killed in Glasgow about 20 years ago while working on an isolated circuit, induced voltages from the other circuit on the towers and a failure of other safety systems did him.

I see what you mean now,
it looks like the cables are joined far right to near right to near left.
the far left hand cable looks as though it is bonded to pylon.
this is repeated on all 3 levels.

I can only guess that there is a problem with a cable or insulator on the section that is bonded to pylon. it has been taken out of service.

could be that they don't need the capacity anymore so it has not been repaired.
they are phasing out coal powered generation, it could even be that the cables go to a generation plant that has had its output reduced.

If the cables have been installed when the pylons were erected what's the point of not using them?

They may have intended to use them but more likely it's to balance the strain on the pylons.

Looking from the other side they are linked.

They stop the pylons from falling over. It may well have been planned for future capacity that never materialised.

That row of cables sits between a large sub station and a hydroelectric station if you look on google

It looks like it might be the south Manchester to Bredbury circuit. This is wired as as single circuit at the ends but double circuit for most of the route. I am guessing the extere set of conductors at the end is due to mechanicaly balancing the pylon and only having one road closure to fit the conductors over the M60.

Reply to Cables Earthed on Pylon in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock