Discuss Calibration Costs? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Last edited:
Daft question - what's the qualification needed to calibrate and would it be cost effective to get it yourself?
its not really a qualification as such, it's more about being able to compare the results from the meter under test to a standard usually 10x more accurate, so to calibrate a mft to say +/-5% you need a calibrated instrument circ 0.5% ..... and so on right up to national standards.

keeping this in line with national standards etc is the real cost.

Daft question - what's the qualification needed to calibrate and would it be cost effective to get it yourself?
It's not a question of qualifications its having the instruments to do it with, very expensive instruments, you can use a CalcCard to do it for a couple of years after getting it done officially at a testing station/ company.

As above, doing calibration to traceable standards is expensive in terms of investment. It only makes sense for high end labs and folk who do it as a service.

However, in most cases you just need to know "is it broken?" and for that regularly comparing your MFT (or whatever) against something fixed is adequate. The CalCard is such an example, it is not lab-standard, but it is convenient and if you use it regularly and write down what you get each time then you can be confident (and justify if asked) that your equipment is working to specification. Basically it has not changed.

True it is not properly testing your MFT for RCD trip times, etc, but if you have a circuit at home or work that you can trip without narking your kids wifi use then using that as a "known trip behaviour" would do.

Still, form time to time (say year or two) you ought to get it done professionally if for no other reason that gluteus maximus cover for litigation.

Just been quoted:
Rexel £65
YESSS £57

for an MFT
Did Rexel give you a turn - round time on that?
My local Rexel has more or less shut their doors.
I "stretch" a cal out to a couple of years with regular test-card checks etc, but with everyone closing their doors and insisting on mail-in of instruments that's got difficult. This is the busiest year I've had ever, and to spend what might be a week without it is not possible. (They mostly offer a rapid one for +££££).

I've been waiting since last summer to find a local place doing a cal-day but as soon as it looks like it might happen, everything closes again.

Did Rexel give you a turn - round time on that?
My local Rexel has more or less shut their doors.
I "stretch" a cal out to a couple of years with regular test-card checks etc, but with everyone closing their doors and insisting on mail-in of instruments that's got difficult. This is the busiest year I've had ever, and to spend what might be a week without it is not possible. (They mostly offer a rapid one for +££££).

I've been waiting since last summer to find a local place doing a cal-day but as soon as it looks like it might happen, everything closes again.
Quoted 1 week.
Yesss did it 1 week.

times not such an issue for us as we have spare test equipment

We use Alpha Electronics in Newport (branches in Maidstone, Manchester and Newport) They are still open to drop off/collect. Turn around depends on how busy they are. I've had next day in the past but it's normally 3-4 days.

Quoted 1 week.
Yesss did it 1 week.

times not such an issue for us as we have spare test equipment
Was that a special event "day", or do Yesss offer themselves as a drop-off point for some calibration service all the time?

@pc1966 No it wasn't any type of event. Just rang them and arranged it. I think most wholesalers do the same. Certainly around here, Yesss, CEF and Rexel do

Reply to Calibration Costs? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock