Discuss Call out standby pay in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all.
Just wondering if any of you do emergency call out. I work for a large housing association and the pay rate for out of hours seems a bit poor.

We get £4.66 an hour which includes all work and travel. Same rate applies for weekends. 1.5x for bank holidays and 2x for xmas day.

Is this the going rate or are we being shafted?

Cheers.

you're being shafted.
I thought so..
The hours do add up as we do 118 of them in a typical week, but i can't help but think we should be on way more.

No idea of the going rates but earning £223 for covering 24 hours on xmas day seems pathetic. Haha.

OP you must be desperate for a job to work for those rates or is the £4.66 on top of your normal rate as £4.66 would be well under the minimum wage

OP you must be desperate for a job to work for those rates or is the £4.66 on top of your normal rate as £4.66 would be well under the minimum wage
We get our day salary for 7.5 hours, (decent rate 2bh) then the 4.66 for the remaining 14 hours on standby.

all depends on the workload when you're on staandby. if you are out all hours, then you're being shafted. if 90% of the time you're sitting on your arse at home, it's not that bad.

Hi all.
Just wondering if any of you do emergency call out. I work for a large housing association and the pay rate for out of hours seems a bit poor.

We get £4.66 an hour which includes all work and travel. Same rate applies for weekends. 1.5x for bank holidays and 2x for xmas day.

Is this the going rate or are we being shafted?
Cheers.
WhenI was "on call" I got an allowance of approx. £27:00 per week plus a minimum of 3 hours per call out @ whatever rate applied, time and a half up to a Certain time, double time for Sat, and Sun treble time for Xmas, Easter and bank holidays, if you got another call out within the 3 hours, then it was down to you and the person calling you out to work out the timings to suit, phone calls were paid for, fuel etc also
Looks like you are getting pooped on fro a great height, oh this was 15 years ago. work it out for yourself. A callout was from when you got the call until you called the caller to say you had been and completed the call. Ie you wee back home, supping a pint. Remember you are being paid the allowance for being available, no getting ratted, no excuses you will need to let the call centre your location, phone number etc, essentially you are flummoxed from all extra curricular activities for the period you are being paid the allowance, no allowance, them stuff it.

Last edited:
all depends on the workload when you're on staandby. if you are out all hours, then you're being shafted. if 90% of the time you're sitting on your arse at home, it's not that bad.
The workload varies with the weather, ie rain causing leaks etc. Last week the weather was nice and i had 16 jobs. 3am one night, 4am another. Hard to gauge really.

They want you're expertise then they should pay for it. Extracting it in my opinion. They need you, make Em pay for it, they are getting a good screw for these call outs, and if that's all they are paying, what are they making out of it?

WhenI was "on call" I got an allowance of approx. £27:00 per week plus a minimum of 3 hours per call out @ whatever rate applied, time and a half up to a Certain time, double time for Sat, and Sun treble time for Xmas, Easter and bank holidays, if you got another call out within the 3 hours, then it was down to you and the person calling you out to work out the timings to suit, phone calls were paid for, fuel etc also
Looks like you are getting pooped on fro a great height, oh this was 15 years ago. work it out for yourself. A callout was from when you got the call until you called the caller to say you had been and completed the call. Ie you wee back home, supping a pint. Remember you are being paid the allowance for being available, no getting ratted, no excuses you will need to let the call centre your location, phone number etc, essentially you are flummoxed from all extra curricular activities for the period you are being paid the allowance, no allowance, them stuff it.
Looks like i've missed out on the good times. Haha.

if your going out at that god forsaken time when you should be tucked up in bed with a good woman (or man if that's your preference) after a few beers, then it should be £46. 6 per hour. just get the wages clerk to move a decimal point.

They want you're expertise then they should pay for it. Extracting it in my opinion. They need you, make Em pay for it, they are getting a good screw for these call outs, and if that's all they are paying, what are they making out of it?
It's all in house so is hard to say. I'm pretty sure if they sub contracted the work out it would cost loads more.

Reply to Call out standby pay in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock