Discuss Can you shed some light? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I've never come across a supply identical to that sorry. But by the looks of it your installation doesnt appear to be earthed via the supply, but maybe its been tt'd and I'm not sure why it has when the dno has supplied an earth.
I'd get a local spark in to check it out tho as I could be wrong

That doesn't look like an original DNO earth.

Get someone in to look at it.

Unseen in the photo there is a earth clamp connection on the water pipe which then in turns runs into the 2 fuse boxes (one lighting one power)

What are the risks involved here as the owner tells me besides a burn out fuse wire now and again its worked fine for 20+ years and possibly longer as far as she know knows.

What are the risks involved here
Fire, death, pain, hospitals, funerals, screaming, running, fear etc.
Seriously though, as per Tony's post get on to the DNO. Don't bother with the first muppet you speak to, get to the duty engineer who will put you right and take whatever action is necessary. Just because it's worked for 20+years (although I'd be willing to bet it's a hell of a lot older than that) it doesn't automatically mean it's safe for continued use

The titanic worked fine for 4000 miles.

If the DNO need to change it there won't be a charge. It's their toy so let them play with it.
You might have to TT the installation but they might give you an earth, you don't know till you ask now get on the phone to them
:)

Up to and including the meter will be done for no cost to the customer. Apart from any charges you make for your advice, and any work that you do.

If the DNO didn't make off and provide the earth, are they obliged to do anything to fix it? The installation was originally earthed to the water pipe and now could be taken to that terminal (if the connection is sound) or a rod as a last resort. Although clearly it would be best if they can provide a reliable connection to the lead.

If it gets replaced, Anjo please could you try to see if that cable head could be salvaged intact for our museum? We don't have anything of that style to go with our early fuseboards display. I will happily buy all involved some drinks, in advance if need be. Please contact me by PM if so or see my sig for museum info.

Thanks in advance
Lucien

Oops.. post crossed with above

Its been a fair few years but I've come across this once forgotten post and would like to update it.

Did call the DNO and sent them photos of the supply head, they reached the conclusion that it wasn't earthed and they sent an engineer out to have a look. The engineer said the office had made a mistake, nothing wrong with the set up after testing the earth supply impedence (TN-S) and said only issue was it wasn't connected to the installation and there was no need to replace it. Long time coming but thanks to all who contributed.

Anjo

Reply to Can you shed some light? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock