Discuss CCTV colour at night alternatives. in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

littlespark

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Patron
Reaction score
My FIL wants a cctv system at his house, and normally i would just go with whatever kit was on offer at the time from t'internet.

My own system is a mish mash of a cheap Sannce recorder, an old camera with infra red, another with a light that's on all night, and a hikvision camera which creates a colour view at night without visible illumination.

I started looking online for Hikvision, and came across this little nugget of information from wikipedia.....

"Hangzhou Hikvision Digital Technology Co., Ltd., often shortened to Hikvision, is a Chinese state-owned manufacturer and supplier of video surveillance equipment for civilian and military purposes, headquartered in Hangzhou, Zhejiang. Due to its involvement in mass surveillance of Uyghurs, the Xinjiang internment camps, and national security concerns, the company has been placed under sanctions from the U.S. and European governments."

So is anyone still using/ installing Hikvision products, or is this just the USA showing its disdain of anything Chinese.

Is there another manufacturer that offers colour at night without the shining light?

So is anyone still using/ installing Hikvision products, or is this just the USA showing its disdain of anything Chinese.
I personally would choose not to use them due to that, and also we have some USA clients who in turn have restrictions placed upon then from high. They make OEM for others, so known who makes what is complicated.
Is there another manufacturer that offers colour at night without the shining light?
There are a few with good low-light sensitivity. We have used Vivotek (Taiwanese) from about 10 years ago, then just because they offered a decent PoE camera and much to our surprise, if not astonishment, the free software that Vivotek offered for recording actually worked quite well. Now it is more complicated, but we have stuck with them even if not the cheapest due to (a) not sucking donkey, and (b) not being on Uncle Sam's naughty list.

We don't use the IR illuminator as they don't work out very far, instead we allow the max exposure to go down to 1/5 second and at that we can see quite well in partial moonlight, certainly you would detect someone and if any darker they would need a torch making them pretty obvious..

Is your FIL doing anything that would be of interest to the Chinese government?
Does he require the system to be connected to the internet for any reason?

If it's a standalone system not connected to the outside world then it's hard to see what problem there could be.

Tapo C325WB. £80. Wi-fi or ethernet, floodlights, alarm, pet/person/vehicle detection. Full colour in darkness. 2K video and a decent wide angle lens. Software is very good.

Can't go wrong.

Hikvision probably better, but not worth the premium price.

I have and use Hikvision as it is decent
I also have a Darkfighter IP camera and it is good

Hikvision also do a hybrid NVR that takes BNC cameras as well as IP cameras, that way you can move from exisiting wired BNC to a IP system

The software is free IVMS4200 and it also works on mobile networks without a static IP (unavailable on most mobile networks)

Has anyone used the Reolink cameras and recorders?

I ask as it turns out an American client of ours uses them, so they are not on Uncle Sam's naughty list, and they seem reasonable priced with no stupid subscriptions to use the claimed features:

EZVIZ here, poe, reliable and good quality picture. IR view for night time isn't good, probably because I have a streetlight very close which negates it, but standard view is fine. Night time is B&W though, switching to colour as light increases. Good value for money and I am getting another one for my holiday home.

Reply to CCTV colour at night alternatives. in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock