Discuss Christmas shut down in factories in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hey,

What is the legal position on Christmas shutdowns within factories where some machines are to run on with limited production.

There is not enough cover to for all the proposed shift cover; excluding Christmas day, boxing day etc.

Is there a legal document to quote. Does the factory have to have electrical support on site or indeed on call out?

Wouldn't that be covered in your Terms and Conditions?
I don't think there is any 'Legal' obligation for a shutdown over xmas or New Year.. Maybe someone can correct me on this..

Hey,

What is the legal position on Christmas shutdowns within factories where some machines are to run on with limited production.

There is not enough cover to for all the proposed shift cover; excluding Christmas day, boxing day etc.

Is there a legal document to quote. Does the factory have to have electrical support on site or indeed on call out?
Don't know about the legalities Mate, but I should think providing maintenance cover would be down the the Factories Management, may I ask the reason for your question?

Is the position that YOU WANT to work but they say it's not required?
Or that THEY WANT you to work and you don't want to.?

It wouldn't make business sense to have production machines and operators working and not have engineering cover of some sort available.

Wanted to understand if electrical cover should be on site or by call out when there was limited production running.

eg 40 machines normally, but they are going to run 3 or 4.

I have all but 3 shift cover during this time (not including the bank holidays, where everyone is off)

Was trying to understand what legally electrical cover should be provided or does it not come in to it.

I doubt there is any legal requirement unless it's something with it's own specific regulations and risks like nuclear or petroleum .

We have site services in but they run on continentals so designed for 365 cover. So two blokes one of each will monitor everything. We have others in case it goes bad on standby but the clause it 4x pay if you get called out. Legally I don't think you need any cover by tradesmen during any production but as everything breaks every 2 mins were usually there for that.

It would be a purely commercial decision based on the risk of loss of production/down time.

I highly doubt there is need for any on site engineering at any factory (legal obligation) as all machines and processes fail safe...or should.

A few exceptions obviously like oil refinery’s etc. But again no direct legal obligation.

Last edited:
Absolutely no legal requirement. It’s up to the gaffers to determine their maintenance cover. If they want to “run at risk” then that’s their perogative. Sounds like you’ve been knocked back for Xmas working. If it were me and I could be arsed working over Xmas I’d be pointing out to the gaffers the difference in cost of lost production due to downtime against the cost of paying you the premium for working. Our factory does a lot of ppm work and installation work over Xmas. They like having us in to help out. They also pay triple time which helps!!!!

Reply to Christmas shut down in factories in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net