Discuss city& guilds 1979 in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Depends upon which type of the electrical industry you where in.

If it was electrical contracting then it was A, B and then C certificates

If it was maintenance in factories then it could be T3/T4 or ONC/OND then HNC/HND or something along them lines, but in them days you could get an apprenticeship with a company not like you can now.

now I'm rich I get someone else to play with willy (prefer female ;-)
A certificate got you an electricians card auto jib graded
B certificate got you an approved electricians card jib graded auto
C certificate got you a technicians card (engineer) jib graded auto

You could hold only the A certificate and still be upgraded to approved if the company you were working for requested upgraded to jib approved

You could not be made up to engineer without the C certificate 'tech' equiv. onc qualification, however if you held the B certificate it was reletively easy to obtain the C. Many said the C was easier than B. Some 'engineers' bypassed all did an onc to gain C grade straight away, most had difficulty installing batteries in a torch. -;)

In fact in them days you didn't need anything, if the company you were working for were jib registered, Baileys, Watson Norry, Crown House, et al You could be a mate, or even a labourer and still be 'made up' to electrician status...no problem (if they were short of sparks)

Not saying good, but in them days strikes were often, sparks would strike on big jobs frequently, hence the powers that be held a carrot for mates, labourers...we will make you a jib electrician if we think you deserve. Corruption was rife...ahh the good ole days -;)

Last edited by a moderator:
ahhh them were the days:) i was 2

im wondering why you want to know? did you invent a time machine and want to work in the seventies?

just being nosey

hi jibtech just needed to settle something if it was the same in scotland as england
and if not what the differance was i know what i have got and he is telling me he has something else a few more post should settle it thanks for the replys so far

jibtech just looked on an other thread with a word like leathered i think
you maybe a scot so your reply would be helpful

Last edited:
:eek: how dare you!!

am welsh my friend but my grandad is from glasgow:D

and im guessing no ones gonna be bothered about wales then .. ok ill go....sniff

hi can anyone tell me the qualifications for a electrician
back in 1979 ie c&g --- part 1&2
hi
It was 236 pt 1&2,and pt3(c course) ,having part 2 didnt automaticly get you graded as an approved electrician,the company had to certify to the jib that you could do a job rather than just work on someone elses.

The sjib accepted the english qualification,but you had to swap the card,

also as far as i know there was a strike around 1979(the day of action) which was in the january,and was in support of the railway electricians,i think that was the last time electricians had a strike,and as i remember it was not official,and we got no strike pay and it was a very cold day,during the miners strike of 1984/5,the eetpu sided with the government.
There was another planned to support the polish,ship yard workers(solidarity and all that) but as far as i know it didnt happen,but that was a few years later about 1988.

thanks rum runner last time i had anything to do with the union i think fred chapel was in charge are we that old or are there to many young folk around

Reply to city& guilds 1979 in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock