Discuss Combining two laptop chargers? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Okey, first of all- I know nothing. A fuse blew today and I think it’s after that my laptop charger broke somehow. I assume it’s beyond repair and I’m kind of desperate. now, I have an old laptop charger, which of course doesn’t fit in the hole in the new laptop. My question is if I can strip the wires and connect the old charger to the plug on the new charger. The new charger isn’t original either and I’ve had some trouble with it. My laptop won’t charge unless it’s off, but it would keep it powered if I had it in while using the laptop. If it’s possible I assume this is relevant: new charger:
output:
16 V = 4.62A
19V= 4.62A
Input: 100-240 V 60/50 he 1.4 A
Old charger:
Output: 18.5V = 3.5A 65 watt max
Input: 100-240 V = 3.5A 65w max

I realize that I should get a new charge, but I need my laptop like now. Hopefully this can be a temporary solution.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Is the laptop a hp? It may be that the problem is with the socket,on the laptop,they get worn and have the issues you describe.

If the voltage is the same on the alternative charger,and you correctly wire the jack,it is worth a try.

Don't leave it unattended,and read the label,on the side of your fire extinguisher......you do have one,don't you? ;)

You can buy adapters from Maplins, if they have them in stock........

It is likely that it is the cord into the charger plug that has snapped and has shorted . I am having the same problem with my Dell.
I have repaired this in the past , but it is a problem on a laptop as it gets a lot of use .
You can strip the plug back , but try and keep the remaining wires intact to there respective connections. Make a note of where they go.
cut the cable back to good wire, then solder them back onto the plug .
Slide heat shrink onto the cables before you solder.
Also check the existing charger for output , if it is a Dell you may have got away with it

Just buy a new charger, go onto amazon, next day delivery, bodging up leads could lead to a fire.

You are quite right @MDJ. I did not digest the first line of the OP's post, and also assumed it is a temp fix
It is a common fault though and can be fixed if done properly.
I replaced the charger ( after a temp fix to keep it going) with a genuine Dell one about five years ago now , but that has gone the same way , so I am contemplating a new laptop or charger and port.

You are quite right @MDJ. I did not digest the first line of the OP's post, and also assumed it is a temp fix
It is a common fault though and can be fixed if done properly.
I replaced the charger ( after a temp fix to keep it going) with a genuine Dell one about five years ago now , but that has gone the same way , so I am contemplating a new laptop or charger and port.
Users tend to rest their laptops on uneven surfaces so it stresses the socket on the laptop which then over time comes away from the board if you know how to strip a laptop and are handy with a soldering iron then its an easy and cheap fix.

The old charger you mention cannot provide as much current as your new charger. If you say your new charger will not charge the battery unless the laptop is off, this may also be incorrect for the laptop.

Remember that laptop batteries are usually lithium ion and can overheat and explode if charged incorrectly. The laptop should have protection devices to prevent this, but charging at the wrong voltage could damage/override them.

Reply to Combining two laptop chargers? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net