Discuss Compound mitre saw. in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

ferg

-
Esteemed
Arms
Patron
Reaction score
It's not really an electrical question but I'm struggling to find unbiased reviews.

I'm looking to get a decent sliding compound mitre saw for personal use.

Woodworking is a hobby of mine and I also have a bit of renovation work to do in the house.

I have in mind this one Makita LS1018LN

I'm a bit of a Dewalt fanboy but this seems to match my needs better.

My main priorities are accuracy and reliability.

Does anyone have any experience of these saws or alternative recommendations?

Cheers. :)

We've got an evolution compound mitre saw in the workshop, we chose that one because it cuts wood, metal, plastic etc.
It's a bit of a 'jack of all, master of none' kind of thing as it's not quite perfect at anything but good enough for most of what we do.

A friend of mine has one of those , he has had it about 15 years plus.
I replaced the motor for him about 10 years ago and it has never missed a beat since.
The original motor failed because of unusual abuse on a rushed job.

The main issue for me was how the rails go backwards on the sliding part of the saw head. It inhibits fitting the saw to a bench when there is a wall behind the saw and close by.

I had the big Dewalt 305mm unit and it was very heavy if you had to move it around.

The main issue for me was how the rails go backwards on the sliding part of the saw head. It inhibits fitting the saw to a bench when there is a wall behind the saw and close by.

I had the big Dewalt 305mm unit and it was very heavy if you had to move it around.

I had looked at a Space saving Dewalt one for that reason and also the similar Makita but I'm having a bit of difficulty justifying the cost.

I had looked at a Space saving Dewalt one for that reason and also the similar Makita but I'm having a bit of difficulty justifying the cost.
Judge that on how many times you wished you had one, and the times you have been dissatisfied with the results of your alternative substitute.

Accuracy will often be reflected in the effort put in to setting the saw up.
If you take the time to square it up, or tune it to whatever angle you need then you'll get more accurate cuts than if you just trust to the protractor markings on the tool.
Absolutely. I had to do this with my last saw but the accuracy was terrible when using the sliding function and the head would move slightly if I didn't pay attention when cutting.
[automerge]1590164200[/automerge]
Judge that on how many times you wished you had one, and the times you have been dissatisfied with the results of your alternative substitute.

There is also the fact that if I spend too much on the saw I might end up keeping it company overnight... :D :D

Last edited:
I think it's Lewden and they are cheap in Englandshire.

I can't get them from Wholesalers and have seen them only once, jammed in to a crappy proteus board.

I stick to Hager but as they are a good bit dearer customers always go for the Dual board.
Tut, tut...

"signable off"???

signoffable, surely...
I’m going to get the large kapex as soon as I can slip it past the boss!

I've had the Bosch GSM8SJL for a few years now. Cracking single bevel mitre saw for the price with great cut length.

Mitre saws are more likely to stay accurate if they are not lugged about in and out of vans a lot. Mine has been lugged about a lot and is still sufficiently accurate.

Could be but he had them even in the earlier videos...
To be fair it is excellent gear too, it is just a matter of personal preference. Another of my mates is a joiner/locksmith and he has mainly Dewalt, but has a lot of Makita too,
They both work hard and do the job with very few problems.

Reply to Compound mitre saw. in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock