Discuss Compound mitre saw. in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

To be fair it is excellent gear too, it is just a matter of personal preference. Another of my mates is a joiner/locksmith and he has mainly Dewalt, but has a lot of Makita too,
They both work hard and do the job with very few problems.
Yeah there’s not really any difference between the two....or any other brands really untill you get upto festool mafell etc, but if you drop one of them on site they’ll be tears ?......Mafell jigsaw.....£600 odd ?

Yeah there’s not really any difference between the two....or any other brands really untill you get upto festool mafell etc, but if you drop one of them on site they’ll be tears ?......Mafell jigsaw.....£600 odd ?
It's no wonder the thieves are after the vans at those prices. The amount of gear like that joiners need , it must be a nightmare on a site looking after it.

When I last worked in domestic in London most of the chippies had boxes and boxes of festool gear. My god it's expensive and most of them said buying it was a bit like an addiction, but the work those chippies put out was perfect.
I bought a £150 evolution mitre saw from Screwfix, it cuts 300 x 80mm with a multipurpose blade TCT and does for my DIY but if I was setting up a workshop for more serious woodwork then I'd probably spend a bit more and get a double bevel one as Buzz mentioned.

I concur the need for accuracy. I bought a Erbauer chop saw from Screwfix. I've been abusing it from day one, so its accuracy on cutting mitre joints is below par now. Its laser light for marking is dangling down, after it got hit by an offcut. Mind your fingers as well!

Get one that you can get a stand for, and invest in some decent trestle tables, ones with rollers even better.

It is addictive, I’m a wood butcher originally and I use three different mitre saws 2 dewalts, one for just chopping wood to length, studs etc one for second fix, oak skirts, balustrades and the like and I also have an evolution one with their dual wood/metal blades if I’m working with reclaimed timber (I do this a lot) that I suspect has nails in it, I have some festool gear that stays in my workshop at home.....I think @Pete999 would call me a “Tool Tart” ?
[automerge]1590221091[/automerge]
It's no wonder the thieves are after the vans at those prices. The amount of gear like that joiners need , it must be a nightmare on a site looking after it.
To be fair unless you are making high end cabinets with a hardwood, any decent chippie would get good results with dewalt/makita etc by just putting a really good blade in em, and setting them up square ?

It is addictive, I’m a wood butcher originally and I use three different mitre saws 2 dewalts, one for just chopping wood to length, studs etc one for second fix, oak skirts, balustrades and the like and I also have an evolution one with their dual wood/metal blades if I’m working with reclaimed timber (I do this a lot) that I suspect has nails in it, I have some festool gear that stays in my workshop at home.....I think @Pete999 would call me a “Tool Tart” ?
[automerge]1590221091[/automerge]

To be fair unless you are making high end cabinets with a hardwood, any decent chippie would get good results with dewalt/makita etc by just putting a really good blade in em, and setting them up square ?
Nothing wrong with having a fondness for shiny objects Mate

I’ve got a Festool kapex ks60, very nice to use and super accurate

Got the Kapex 120, on the wheeled stand. Awesome bit of kit. Also the angle finder is very useful addition.

Got the big rail saw as well.

Got the Kapex 120, on the wheeled stand. Awesome bit of kit. Also the angle finder is very useful addition.

Got the big rail saw as well.
As tempting as that is....... it is perhaps a little out of my budget range. :)

The spindle moulder on my combi machine is probably beyond repair as water got to it over the winter and the spacers have stuck to the spindle. :(

So that will be something else to add to the purchase list.

As tempting as that is....... it is perhaps a little out of my budget range. :)

The spindle moulder on my combi machine is probably beyond repair as water got to it over the winter and the spacers have stuck to the spindle. :(

So that will be something else to add to the purchase list.

Which combination machine do you have?

I want to get one and keep trawling ebay for something second-hand.

What bald headed men :)
I knew one of them, a joiner with a workshop. I used to use his old circular and band saws, when needed. That suddenly stopped when 40 years of experience went down the drain as he chopped three and a half fingers off one hand.....and still his smoke never left his lips. ;)

I knew one of them, a joiner with a workshop. I used to use his old circular and band saws, when needed. That suddenly stopped when 40 years of experience went down the drain as he chopped three and a half fingers off one hand.....and still his smoke never left his lips. ;)

I had an unfortunate dalliance once, with a circular saw. Managed to retain all my digits, due to the excellent work of my surgeon. Still gives me heebie jeebies, just thinking about it. :eek:

Which combination machine do you have?

I want to get one and keep trawling ebay for something second-hand.

I have a Maxi 26 plus and have had it for a long time.

I wouldn't go near it TBH.

It's ok for my needs but it's not very well made.

I imagine someone like you would be ok with it as you like old Landrovers. :D

Can't get parts for it anymore.

I'll be replacing it with separates over the next couple of years I think.

Reply to Compound mitre saw. in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock