Discuss Conductors, Insulators, Semi-Conductors and Doping. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

K

Kriske

Good morning/afternoon/evening/night forum members.
I'm a student in a Basic Computers Maintenance and Repair class at present and currently doing a project on the above title. In my project right now I'm looking for several things that I just can't seem to find or know how to put together.

In my project I'm thinking of implement sections on
"Purpose of Conductors/Insulators/Semi=Conductors/Doping" "How do they work with each other" "Why do we need them"

My research has been a bit redundant and only yields, "How X/Y works". For example, "A conductor is a substance, body or device that easily conducts heat, electricity, sound or any type of energy." I can not find A conductor works with an insulator by the process of etc nor you can find a conductor in-.

While I know materials of conductors (most metals). I'd like to give examples in regards to electrical areas. While I know it's easy you could find them in say a laptop such as the processor pins or the IC. I want to give more examples or specific examples.

My question
What is the purpose of 1) Conductors 2) Insulators 3) SemiConductors 4)Dopin?g
How do Conductors, Insulators, Semiconductors and Doping work together?
Why do we need Conductors, Insulators, Semiconductors and Doping?
Thank you for reading!

Conductors are used to transmit electrical energy and are designed to do so with minimal losses, so good conductivity is required, as far as practicable; they are not intended to affect a circuit in any way, just connect parts together.

Because conductors can present danger due to the electrical energy transmitted, and to avoid any inadvertent short circuits insulators are used to contain the conductors so that the electrical energy reaches the appropriate points without diversion to inappropriate parts of the circuit.

Where it is necessary to control the flow of current then semiconductors come into play, these tend to be a variety of switching devices with the capability to pass some or all of the current at different times and under different conditions. They can be controlled by other semiconductors and input signals.

Doping of semiconductor constructional elements is required to provide the electrons or "holes" needed to create "positive" or "negative" materials, using the pure element will not provide this effect and the semiconductor would not function.

Conductors are used to transmit electrical energy and are designed to do so with minimal losses, so good conductivity is required, as far as practicable; they are not intended to affect a circuit in any way, just connect parts together.

Because conductors can present danger due to the electrical energy transmitted, and to avoid any inadvertent short circuits insulators are used to contain the conductors so that the electrical energy reaches the appropriate points without diversion to inappropriate parts of the circuit.

Where it is necessary to control the flow of current then semiconductors come into play, these tend to be a variety of switching devices with the capability to pass some or all of the current at different times and under different conditions. They can be controlled by other semiconductors and input signals.

Doping of semiconductor constructional elements is required to provide the electrons or "holes" needed to create "positive" or "negative" materials, using the pure element will not provide this effect and the semiconductor would not function.
Mate, I can't thank you enough for this information. This provided more than enough information for me to grasp this concept and it will go a long way in my project. Thanks again.

HI Kreisler,
I'm new to this site, however I have significant experience in ion implantation a process used in very accurate doping of semiconductor materials in order to create the integrated circuits.
The manufacturing process generally involves four processes that are repeated until the final circuit layer is completed. These main processes are
Diffusion, photolithography, etching and ion implantation. If you research these processes you should have a good understanding of how we can process a piece of silicon either N-type or P-type and through the series of processes mentioned, build up layer by layer a functional semiconductor device. The process can take anything up to 30 days+ to create DRAM/uProcessor devices depending on complexity,
There you go, you did ask?
Cheers Allan

Reply to Conductors, Insulators, Semi-Conductors and Doping. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net