Discuss Conservatory Electrics in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Newbie here and I don't have any electrical qualifications, we are planning on having a conservatory built this summer and would like to have lighting and a few sockets installed. Does it have to go through part P tested?

onlyif anew circuit is added.if existing circuits are extended, then you need a MWC, but not notifiable under part pee.

Minor Works Certificate. Your electrician should explain all of this to you. Unless it's the builder who does some wires then you're screwed.

Your average builder tends to throw circuits in with no consideration for basic electrical design and safe working practices.

It would he doubtful you receive any certification let alone any basic testing carried out to ensure their works is safe and complied with current regulations.

Five years later you’ll be knocking plaster off the walls trying to find the dodgy joint that’s been made and wrapped in tape before being covered in cement.

It is also advisable to ensure your existing installation it safe and fit for continued use, Bob the builder wouldn’t care about this.

If your builder says he has an electrician get his scheme registration details and do some research before signing any contract.

Hi Guys,

Newbie here and I don't have any electrical qualifications, we are planning on having a conservatory built this summer and would like to have lighting and a few sockets installed. Does it have to go through part P tested?
Why ask that....I wonder?

True story coming up

The guy that built the new conservatory at our old house was a fully trained sparks

He actually ran all the cables in during the build as we were away on holiday and I did the second fix to save money after it was all plastered

Funny old world...

Your original question says 'does it have to be Part P tested'. You are conflating two things there. Regardless of whether it needs notifying, it needs testing. Every installation regardless needs testing.

Who will be doing the testing?

Foe the sake of a few quid and your safety just get an electrician. Why cut corners on electrical work when your paying for the rest to be done anyway

Why not, its a simple straight forward question.
Basically, I'm wondering if you have any idea of the testing required. There is no such thing as a Part P test.
The Part P certificate is a lawful document required, in certain instances, in addition to a test certificate.
So, it's not a simple, straightforward question. It could have all sorts of connotations. Why are you asking it...…..?

Maybe best to get an electrician to build the conservatory

Why not they are only a big Meccano kit

True story coming up

The guy that built the new conservatory at our old house was a fully trained sparks

He actually ran all the cables in during the build as we were away on holiday and I did the second fix to save money after it was all plastered

Funny old world...

I've built a few for mates and relatives.
It's not that difficult as all the bits come marked up as they are on the drawing
The advantage is I can hide all the cables in the structure as it is built

Reply to Conservatory Electrics in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock