Discuss Cooker installation hot zone in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I need to get a new cooker either gas hob or electric hob. My landlady asked me to Sort out a new oven as she is on holiday. But I have been looking for new ovens and want to know if there will be an issue installing a new oven due to the current location of the sockets above the cooker? See photo. I don’t want to buy a new oven and then they won’t install it.

Attachments

• 2EB47F0C-128E-466C-8F99-E82F3AC88017.jpeg
    106.6 KB · Views: 29
There is a specific regulation in the Gas codes I believe that would disallow it immediately if you went the gas hob route.

With an electric one it may depend on the installer - they really should not be there but there is no one specific electrical regulation that says so directly.

If you are renting have you had the EICR done yet that is now required by law? (For existing tenants this will need to be done before next April) - Those sockets are likely to be raised as an issue on that and will probably end up needing to be moved, but that will be the landlord's issue.

In the meantime, it may be worth either asking the question in advance if possible. In my experience the installers that are pre-booked when buying an appliance will either not care, or will refuse at the slightest sign of an issue.

What does the switch to the right of the sockets do? If it's not used, or can be left in the on position then maybe a solution such as westward has posted will get you through the immediate issue until the landlord can get them moved...

There is a specific regulation in the Gas codes I believe that would disallow it immediately if you went the gas hob route.

With an electric one it may depend on the installer - they really should not be there but there is no one specific electrical regulation that says so directly.

If you are renting have you had the EICR done yet that is now required by law? (For existing tenants this will need to be done before next April) - Those sockets are likely to be raised as an issue on that and will probably end up needing to be moved, but that will be the landlord's issue.

In the meantime, it may be worth either asking the question in advance if possible. In my experience the installers that are pre-booked when buying an appliance will either not care, or will refuse at the slightest sign of an issue.

What does the switch to the right of the sockets do? If it's not used, or can be left in the on position then maybe a solution such as westward has posted will get you through the immediate issue until the landlord can get them moved...

@Dartlec - yes an EICR certificate was issued a couple of weeks ago. I sent a picture to the electrician about the plugs, but he said there is no problem and it obviously was not something he put down on the EICR as an issue. I will now check with someone like Currys or AO.com if they will install by sharing them the photo. Let you know the outcome.

The electrician that did an EICR didn’t think that was worth noting as an issue, never mind coding.
Out of curiosity.... how long did it take him?

For some retailers installers, they will find anything to stop them from doing the job.
that may be one reason, another is the cooker not being on an RCD.

Reply to Cooker installation hot zone in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net