Discuss Course name for working on HV Pylons? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Rockingit

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone know the requirements / training for working on HV pylons? I've a mate who's interested in painting them but can't find much info about the required training.

I don't know about the pylon part (too high for me - I'm quite happy at ground level) but I assume they would have to do the EUSR BESC course.

Anyone know the requirements / training for working on HV pylons? I've a mate who's interested in painting them but can't find much info about the required training.

He wants to paint pylons? I never thought that would be a sentence I'd hear.

Or does he mean paint a picture of pylons in water colour or whatever? Maybe you've misunderstood :)

For work on transmission towers - non electrical he would need WI-1 or competent person A

(Depends on the utility - they have their own courses)

This is a pretty basic course to allow non electrical work near on on live electrical equipment - but it would need to be approved/authorised for transmission voltages.

Essentially stop before you get to the red pennants!

There may be other stuff about working at heights and so on.

Last edited:
For work on transmission towers - non electrical he would need WI-1 or competent person A

(Depends on the utility - they have their own courses)
Would he need competent person or just person? Usually with Grid you need competent person to accept permits. Just to work you just need to be a person. Don't know if it's different for pylons. I'm just in Grid subs and on transformers.
Obviously different courses for all the different DNOs.

Would he need competent person or just person? Usually with Grid you need competent person to accept permits. Just to work you just need to be a person. Don't know if it's different for pylons. I'm just in Grid subs and on transformers.
Obviously different courses for all the different DNOs.

Not sure tbh, different utilities, different terms; it may be competent person A is needed with that utility (enwl), perhaps not with others.

The requirements are usually just simple follow the rules type courses.

The requirements are usually just simple follow the rules type courses.
True. Once you've done one DNO the rest are all pretty similar. I'm glad to see NG no longer make you do the sub walk around on a refresher. It's just the online.
Thinking about it, the guy will probably have to loose two days of his life doing his 'Safety Passport' course too.

The size depends on the voltage. 132kV are a lot smaller than the 400kV with 275kV in the middle. So, if you are scared of heights stick to a DNO. If you like heights then NG are the ones to go for.

How did he get that past his careers guidance at school?

“What do you want to do when you leave school?”

“Well, I like to make things look good. I’ve got a steady hand…. Maybe a painter and decorator….. but with a bit of danger!?!”

How did he get that past his careers guidance at school?

“What do you want to do when you leave school?”

“Well, I like to make things look good. I’ve got a steady hand…. Maybe a painter and decorator….. but with a bit of danger!?!”

Perhaps he already had the hat.

(Prize for guessing the sketch!)

If you knew my mate who's asking, then all of this would make perfect sense - I think a life of sniffing paint fumes has gotten to him!! Thanks all.

Reply to Course name for working on HV Pylons? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net