Discuss Cra*tree in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

grumpyjohn01

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Has anyone else noticed how utterly terrible the latest Crabtree basic range of accessories has become? I took some FCUs back today as they were simply atrocious, no better than generics. Its a shame as I have used them as my go-to for many years but am now looking for another brand for van stock etc any recommendations for value for money?

I've switched to mostly Click Mode now - available at Toolstation and so much better than the usual dross available at the sheds....

They were anti-microbial before it was cool, too!

Their light switches are great, built in grid system so you can switch and match at will...

I think I'll try click , I've fitted the odd socket of theirs before, but not used for a whole install, they have those awful tiny white plugs over the faceplate screws though don't they? Replaced the crabber FCU with a Hager one today , fitted fine but the 'unusual' radius of the corners messes with my aesthetic OCD...?

Legrand Synergy must be the most aesthetically pleasing of white moulded accessories available. Well considered terminal layout, super tough terminal screws, much slimmer than other slimline accessories and no more expensive than MK.

Unfortunately very few wholesalers stock this range.

Another vote for click mode. Very reliable. Used to fit BG as standard, but would get the odd faulty switch, high resistance through sockets etc. Never have that problem with click.

Once upon a time Grabtree was top range liked the shape of the sockets. I even preferred it to the MK logic range.
Indeed, I have a NOS FCU from circa 2004, put it next to a current one and the quality difference is very obvious..Superficially they look the same from the front but everything is worse about the 2021 item, terminals, layout, grade of plastics used, overall weight, metals used, general feel and heft.
I'd happily pay more for a return to previous standard because I have thousands of Crabtree accessories out there in hundreds of installs and its nice to provide continuity to customers and an assurance of quality.

Reply to Cra*tree in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net