Discuss Cra*tree in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Indeed, I have a NOS FCU from circa 2004, put it next to a current one and the quality difference is very obvious..Superficially they look the same from the front but everything is worse about the 2021 item, terminals, layout, grade of plastics used, overall weight, metals used, general feel and heft.
I'd happily pay more for a return to previous standard because I have thousands of Crabtree accessories out there in hundreds of installs and its nice to provide continuity to customers and an assurance of quality.
Hello GrumpyJohn. I have found exactly the same as you have. I don't understand why two well-established decades-old UK brand names have decided to significantly reduce quality to save a few pence on an electrical accessory. I won't use either of them anymore, and will never return to them. Sad.

think the last time i used MK sockets, they were 15A round pin. brilliant for stuffing extra wires in with the pins when TVs came witout fitted plugs.

and mother had a bayonet adapter in the light. bulb one side, iron in the other. dad had plenty of fuse wire from Woolies.

Click and Hager for me, never had an issue. Click is great for modular switches, Hager you get backed-off terminal screws (or always used to, been a while since I've bought a new box).

think the last time i used MK sockets, they were 15A round pin. brilliant for stuffing extra wires in with the pins when TVs came witout fitted plugs.

and mother had a bayonet adapter in the light. bulb one side, iron in the other. dad had plenty of fuse wire from Woolies.
I've got one of those for occasional use when no other power is available and don't want to trail leads around site!

Another vote for click mode. Very reliable. Used to fit BG as standard, but would get the odd faulty switch, high resistance through sockets etc. Never have that problem with click.
A friend of mine replaced all accessories in her new home with BG metal ones for aesthetic reasons. Generally they looked fine but about 2 out of 20 odd were faulty in some way which is not very impressive. Though I think one was a dimmer that stopped after one bulb blew. Again, not very good...

A friend of mine replaced all accessories in her new home with BG metal ones for aesthetic reasons. Generally they looked fine but about 2 out of 20 odd were faulty in some way which is not very She was nealyimpressive. Though I think one was a dimmer that stopped after one bulb blew. Again, not very good...
A few years ago a family friend decided to do the same, a big kitchen. Just bought a load off the cuff and decided to have a go. I was asked to take a look by her son. A few back box/frame earth problems but it wasn't a bad effort........considering she was touching eighty years of age.

We have BG decorative accessories in the kitchen as they offered grey inserts on sockets, rather than just the usual black or white options.

Didn't expect much from them, but no issues over the years with switches and sockets feeling more robust than many more expensive options. Also fitted a USB socket, which is used regularly and outlasted the other USB sockets in the house which have all failed on one or both ports.

We have BG decorative accessories in the kitchen as they offered grey inserts on sockets, rather than just the usual black or white options.

Didn't expect much from them, but no issues over the years with switches and sockets feeling more robust than many more expensive options. Also fitted a USB socket, which is used regularly and outlasted the other USB sockets in the house which have all failed on one or both ports.
Some of the the LAP metal range are made by BG I believe, and have used them a few times because their socket inserts look so much better than the alternatives at that price. Nice grey rounded instead of white or black square stuff that looks horrid.

The normal LAP ones are made by someone else I think with horrible terminals low down that are a real pain...

Some of the the LAP metal range are made by BG I believe, and have used them a few times because their socket inserts look so much better than the alternatives at that price. Nice grey rounded instead of white or black square stuff that looks horrid.

The normal LAP ones are made by someone else I think with horrible terminals low down that are a real pain...

I wouldn't ordinarily have considered BG, were it not for aesthetic appeal meeting the other half's demands. Certainly wouldn't rate them as being top quality, but more than acceptable and much better than reputation might suggest.

Black or white insets stick out like a sore thumb, whereas grey blends nicely into a brushed steel finish. No insert visible around switches is also a bonus

Quick update: According to a local wholesaler the Crabtree FCUs in question had had their manufacture 'outsourced' due to Covid or Brexit or whatever and the complaints have been many. They now have fresh stock of apparently better quality units. Have yet to try them, have to say my confidence is shaken.

Quick update: According to a local wholesaler the Crabtree FCUs in question had had their manufacture 'outsourced' due to Covid or Brexit or whatever and the complaints have been many. They now have fresh stock of apparently better quality units. Have yet to try them, have to say my confidence is shaken.
Sorry for digging such an old thread - have you had your new Crabtree FCU, and how does it fare?

It's getting to the point where you might as well go into Wilkinson's and pick up there 99p switches.

But I think even they might of closed down now?

Off topic but I just purchased a 1960 piano from Ebay for 99p, the new ones cost in excess of 16k and apparently the strings are breaking because they are using cheap strings, and the strings once torqued are in access of 30 000lbs (that's over 15 ton, and worth remembering if you are ever asked to break one up)

In most cases, each of the piano strings has a tension of 160 to 200 pounds, which in total is about 38,000 pounds How Much Tension Is On Piano Strings? Piano String Tension - https://soundsfunny.org/how-much-tension-piano-strings/

Reply to Cra*tree in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net