Discuss Brain Teasers - they've got me beat! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

Poptasticdave

Got a couple of Q's that any ideas on would be appreciated. Lady down road has 16th Ed CU fitted by her ex husband just before he left her. It's an utter mess. Cables joined with choc blocks and Halford's type crimp terminals inside CU (many falling off!). Earthing as good as non-existent. Needs ripping out and start again but I'm not doing it whilst not reg'd (see my intro hello post) and she can't afford anyone else at present, so I've isolated a few circuits that worried me a hell of a lot. (Only found out about them / CU botch when fitting a fused isolator for shower pump as ex-hubby had kindly left her a pumped power shower with no isolation switch and connected to a 20A breaker. Not only inadequate protection but also when shower valve stuck a few months ago she could not stop it as had no idea what or where to switch off. For shower circuit enough 2.5 T&E hanging in graceful loops near CU to be able to switch off, cut T&E, fit DP switched fused neon connection unit (with 2A fuse), clip cable down neatly and label appropriately. To me this isn't a new circuit and switch is in hall cupboard with CU so not notifiable under Part P?)

10 circuits in total, but she has no idea what most do. In fact, most seem to do nothing at all! 2 Ring Final Circuits (upstairs / downstairs), good terminations with no joints in sight, 32A breakers. Left well alone. 1 lighting (whole house) with nasty crimped joints to make L and N long enough to reach terminals, 6A breaker. Left that alone too. 1 (or is it two???) circuit(s) for Boiler / heating (see below). 6 circuits that appear to be redundant (1 will have been immersion which Hubby took out when he fitted a new cylinder, also just before he left - I daren't look to see what he did with old Immersion cable at cylinder end....shudder to think!). Tails are only 10mm[SUP]2. [/SUP]DP Isolator (Wylex old type 100A) between meter and CU. Tails on DNO side of meter also 10mm[SUP]2.[/SUP] Hope it wasn't 100A service fuse!!!!! Meter and service cut out all fully sealed. Service cut out must have been replaced in 70's or 80's by the look of it (BICC bakelite type in white bakelite - but not a white meter, not seen one of those in white before).

House was rewired by "reputable company" in 1984. Must admit that all ex-hubby hasn't meddled with does look pretty good.

Two real posers though:

• Two different breakers switched off the Central Heating - all of it, not just clock or whatever. I cannot make head or tail of what the hell is going on as all cables buried in plaster and bits of heating system have been mucked about with by ex-hubby and various plumbers and gas board, including moving boiler but not moving controls (she indicated two gang blank plate and said boiler used to be above that and man from gas board fitted box and blank when he "moved" the cables .... I imagine there is some unholy mess inside that but decided not to open up as everything tiled over so I won't be able to see where cables go and whilst not reg'd I'm not going to risk finding that I take top off, miles of knitting springs out and half joints come undone, especially whilst I'm not reg'd!) Switching off either breaker stops clock and stops boiler / pump. I can't get my head round that one at all. For now I've popped both lives that stop heating onto one breaker (6A) as other one of them was on a 32A but it's only 1.0mm[SUP]2[/SUP] cable.
  • Other problem is that there are two circuits (both 2.5mm[SUP]2[/SUP] T&E, which has been extended) which appear to do absolutely nothing, but you can only pop one breaker on or the other (16A and 32A). When both energised, lower rated one trips. I've simply disconnected both for now and insulated ends of cables inside CU - told her to make a note of anything she discovers that isn't working.

Done same with 4 other circuits that appear to do nothing at all and all had 2.5 going into bits of 1.5 (in various colours, and not just red to brown and black to blue!!!!) where they were not long enough to reach terminals.

Popped her a new earth bonding in between gas and water and earth block by meter. Supplier's earth is connected to block but just dangles next to incomer (which is lead), not actually connected! Told her to get DNO in to sort that and their side of meter tails ASAP. She called them straight away and they came within 4 days and fixed their side, even did her a "favour" and put new tails between her side of meter and isolator for her.

Told her to get someone reg'd in ASAP and brace herself for loads of plaster off near cu, big bill and quite likely partial rewire. Recommended two good sparks to her but she's frightened of calling them in in case she can't afford work doing. I've told her better to find out than get herself electrocuted or have a fire.

If I was still reg'd (or if she's not had it done by time I re-reg, if I go ahead), I'd be disconnecting everything completely, testing both Ring Finals before reconnecting, testing lighting and reconnecting, running totally new circuit to heating and also new wiring between all heating controls and boiler, pump, stat, etc. and then leaving everything else completely disconnected and isolated.

Sound fair enough?

Mate, if you are competent (as you certainly sound you are), then why not price the job up, inform LBC, get her to pay the notification fee, do the work, then get LBC back to sign it off?
You do not need to be part p registered as long as you can test and cert your work :)

as above^^^ or use this job for assessment ( elecsa or napit ) and notify once registered. (not sure if niceic will allow this).

then again, if you are not installing a new circuit, or doing work in special location or kitchen, it's not notifiable anyway.

then again, if you are not installing a new circuit, or doing work in special location or kitchen, it's not notifiable anyway.

But if I did do the work I can't see how I'd avoid installing a new circuit for Heating / Boiler, and even though it would (supposedly) be a direct replacement for the existing circuit, it would certainly not physically be so as the existing is such a conundrum and all hidden and in accessible, so surely that would be considered a new circuit? Also, the boiler is in the garage, the circulating pump in the bathroom airing cupboard and the clock in the kitchen, so surely that means two special locations involved in that one circuit? Or do you interpret the regs to mean that, after the DP isolator, the boiler, clock, pump, stat and cables between are regarded as 'an appliance' rather than a circuit? ..... and with annoyance for not noticing before, typing that has just made me realise that I don't think she has an isolator on the heating circuit at all.......never saw one near the boiler or the clock, just this Gas Board fitted blank plate where boiler was. Bet that's another circuit like shower was that's only got MCB to isolate it.

Only one thing you can on this one mate, EICR. By the sound of it the husband has meddled with so much wiring that really unless you do an EICR you're never gonna know for sure what hidden dangers he's left. I wouldn't like to to be the last electrician walking away from there without having tested the installation.

Only one thing you can on this one mate, EICR. By the sound of it the husband has meddled with so much wiring that really unless you do an EICR you're never gonna know for sure what hidden dangers he's left. I wouldn't like to to be the last electrician walking away from there without having tested the installation.

I agree - hence my initial concern about getting her to get a Reg'd spark in NOW, not wait for me!

That's also whey I've disconnected the circs that don't appear to do anything and why I'd propose to leave them disconnected if I was the one doing any work.

I sometimes wonder if I'm being over-cautious, but then I remember what I've spent the last 16 years teaching trainee IT technicians about mains power: "there is no such thing as too safe". Don't know if everyone here agrees but quite apart from safety itself, in today's litigation culture, I think I've been giving sage advice.

I think you will find that you running in new cable for that central heating system would not need notifying

Replacement, repair and maintenance jobs
are generally not notifiable, even if carried out
in a kitchen or special location or associated
with a special installation.

Taken from the Part P Approved document

Even with you running a new cable for the heating system in my view would definitely come under the process repair to an existing circuit and therefore regardless of it being perhaps in a special location and being classed as a special installation, it is not notifiable

Depends how much you want to help this Lady. There seems an awful lot of work there and no doubt it will cost several pounds to put right. As jdd said, and following on from my initial post, either do a full EICR, or at least list what needs doing, then get LBC involved. If you were to tell them that this is all for assessment, and you will notify any notifiable work you identify after you become part P registered, then they may waive the fee.
Or get Dave from down the pub to come and do it all for ÂŁ100 cash, as nobody at BC seems to care about enforcing part P anyway. (I don't really mean that, just getting fed up with cowboys getting away with murder and nobody in authority giving a damn).

... just getting fed up with cowboys getting away with murder and nobody in authority giving a damn.
Thanks to all for the advice received; it's much appreciated.
I'll have a chat with the lady ASAP and see how she feels about my possibly using her job as an assessment case and take things forward from there.

I feel very sympathetic for all who are fed up with Part P not doing what it was supposed to and keeping the cowboys and other incompetents away from the jobs. I dislike the Part P idea personally, mainly because it seems to have been counter-productibve from square 1 and effectively penalises time served and fully qual'd sparks whilst not having any noticeable effect on B. Ogit and S. Carper Ltd.

It also makes some qual'd (but not reg'd) competent people constantly self-doubt what they are doing and have done and as such hugely undermines self-confidence (I am a case in point as I'm sure you guessed from the way I phrased that).

However, whether we like it or not, Part P exists and I'm not willing to knowingly do anything that goes against it..... even if that means that I may yet decide not to actually go back to electrical work at all.

For now, though, with Mrs. Down-the road, I will at the very least enquire about the options for doing the job for her myself as an assessed piece of work and work hard to persuade her to get it done by someone reg'd ASAP if it turns out for any reason that she isn't happy about either using it for my assessment and / or paying for LBC to check my (un-reg'd) work ad sign off.

Thank again for eveyone's responses.

Sounds like you can be honest with the lady, and if you are competent, why not use this as a means to join a scam provider. Good luck, mate. Been there, done it. I hate the scam providers, but TBH they are a necessity if you're going to be regularly doing domestic work. So, go for it!

Thanks again for all the advice on this folks.

Mrs. Down-The-Road said she'd be happy for me to use the work as an inspection piece but then events overtook us: her electric towel rain in the downstairs loo stopped working and she 'phoned a lady electrician I'd pointed her towards as it was during a short break I was taking. Lady electrician arrived, disconnected towel rail which had an internal fault and is sealed unit and Mrs. DTR then mentioned to her all the concerns I'd raised over the state of the circuits and the CU. Upshot was that lady electrician opened CU, stood back in horror and told Mrs. DTR that all my concerns were very well founded. 2 days later Mrs. DTR had lady elec plus her two labourers start a full rewire which is now done and dusted and signed off.
Part of me is a little disappointed but I have to say that a larger part of me is quite relieved.

Reply to Brain Teasers - they've got me beat! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net