Discuss Crappy new LAP terminals in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Dartlec

Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Small job including light in a shed so I picked up a LAP LED oval bulkhead which I've used before as cheap and slightly cheerful.

Only to discover that in their never ending journey to 'improve' their products they've 'upgraded' the terminals to these nasty things.

Not only would flex not properly work in them at all - even with solid core they failed my (not that firm) tug test once inserted. I assumed the little holes might be the equivalent of release levers, but no - the cable sits above them and it's purely how firmly you tug them that decides if they stay in place or not.

Not sure if they are meant to be one use only like some of the old E27 fittings were, or what tests they have passed, but I wasn't happy installing it, so the (only slightly) more expensive Aurora BH115 I had in the van went in instead. This will go back and I won't use them again.

Presumably some numpty in marketing decided to save some money to keep them at the same price as the old ones and patted himself on the back for saving 0.002p per fitting.

Crappy new LAP terminals 2022-04-28 14.59.29 - EletriciansForums.netCrappy new LAP terminals 2022-04-28 15.05.41 - EletriciansForums.net

From what I've seen of LAP it seems more "how cheap is possible" rather than "cheap and cheerful"

If on a tight budget A few more beer tokens on an alternative budget brand like BG is money well spent IMO

And the earth goes where??

I stopped using the LAP LED batons in attics etc. they have a connection at both ends for an ‘in’ and ‘out’ cable, but only two terminals. You can’t loop the cpc through to the second fitting.

The only LAP stuff I buy is the switches and sockets which are fine for the price

Those cheap push fit terminations look garbage , a nice colour coded lever terminal would be nice to see

Lap switches and sockets are junk too. Seen so many failures. Would never fit them. I sometimes buy the cat6 euro modules. They are rebranded Philex and decent.

And the earth goes where??

I stopped using the LAP LED batons in attics etc. they have a connection at both ends for an ‘in’ and ‘out’ cable, but only two terminals. You can’t loop the cpc through to the second fitting.

It's a terrible design, having 'linkable' battens with no means of maintaining continuity of CPC, but they're not a bad fitting otherwise and well priced. I've used them a couple of times and just flexed to each from a rose.

Generally the only LAP stuff I buy is lamps. Never have any problems with them (other than G9, but I'm yet to find a decent LED G9 from any manufacturer).

Lap switches and sockets are junk too. Seen so many failures. Would never fit them. I sometimes buy the cat6 euro modules. They are rebranded Philex and decent.
The problem is that they sometimes seem to change design or supplier, and keep the same model number.

The original version of this fitting I've used before several times and it was serviceable - but either they forced the supplier to cut corners for the next batch of an order, or found a new supplier that would undercut the previous one by using these crappy terminals.

Likewise the sockets were at one point made by BG (even branded BG on the plastic still) and weren't too bad, at least no worse than the BG versions.

The first version of their switches used to be quite flush and neat too - but the new ones just look cheap and nasty to me, so I switched to Click some time back for white accessories.

I still mostly get LAP lamps (particularly GU10s) because I have very few problems with them, while Philips at 3 times the price seem to have lots of issues.

It's a terrible design, having 'linkable' battens with no means of maintaining continuity of CPC, but they're not a bad fitting otherwise and well priced. I've used them a couple of times and just flexed to each from a rose.

Generally the only LAP stuff I buy is lamps. Never have any problems with them (other than G9, but I'm yet to find a decent LED G9 from any manufacturer).
I find Crompton more than decent with G9's. I've fitted about a hundred in lighting in a few hairdressers (the type of light fittings that takes about 5 minutes to connect up and screw to the ceiling, then 2 hours to put all the silly hanging down bits on) and to best of my knowledge they are all still all working away and giving very good light output

I find Crompton more than decent with G9's. I've fitted about a hundred in lighting in a few hairdressers (the type of light fittings that takes about 5 minutes to connect up and screw to the ceiling, then 2 hours to put all the silly hanging down bits on) and to best of my knowledge they are all still all working away and giving very good light output

Good to know. I've tried G9s from a number of manufacturers and haven't been overly impressed with any. LAP were neither better nor worse than the others, but were considerably cheaper. If Crompton are reliable, that solves a problem.

Reply to Crappy new LAP terminals in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock