Discuss D.F Load of Equipment in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

juju_100

I have seen an excel sheet in calculator to calculate the size of transformer.
There are option to put the vales of Kw,PF,Qty and Equipment D.F.
I could not understand what is D.F.
What is the equation to calculate the D.F and equation to calculate the total load D.F?DF Load.jpg

I'm not 100% sure but it may mean 'dissipation factor' which is a type of energy loss through the insulation system?...

Last edited:
Demand factor / diversity factor.

Demand factor ?
or diversity factor?

Here i want design a Motor control center. I need to design Transformer, MCB , Fuses and other components.

Dissipation factor?
Demand factor?
Diversity factor?

I am becoming more confused..

I need to design a MCC panel(Motor Control center) includes Transformer, MCB, Fuses etc

Googling it, it looks like Darkwood in post 4 is looking promising.
If you are after a transformer size can you not ring up some suppliers and get a free quite. They will size it for you and if they want the DF they can tell you what they are actually after.

As it is expressed as a percentage then it is probably demand factor.
The Demand Factor = Maximum demand / Total connected load
e.g. 3kW of total items connected, only 2kW in use at any one time so the maximum demand is 2kW.
Demand factor is then 2000/3000 * 100 = 66.7%

With the pre-filled columns showing a 1% DF this would suggest to me it is not demand factor hence I opted for Dissipation Factor, the issue we have here is the OP isn't UK based and assume the spread sheet he has to fill out requires info not often requested here, noting that even TX losses are given has led me to suggest it is Dissipation Factor.

If the OP can give detail of why the info is needed we may be able to narrow it down, I'm given the assumption its to give an accurate demand calculation including losses.

It looks like demand though, because the calc tool has multiplied the DF by the rated kVA to give the figure in the last column. If it were loss it would have added the loss to the load instead of multiplying.

It looks like demand though, because the calc tool has multiplied the DF by the rated kVA to give the figure in the last column. If it were loss it would have added the loss to the load instead of multiplying.

I see what your saying but the 1% is throwing me in the values already shown, a 175Kva has actual demand of 1.75Kva ???

Unless the OP has done the filling in and this is the default value because he didn't enter anything, although I would have expected 100% been the default :/

Experts Don't bother about the values shown in the Excel sheet, Because i have added that values to check the calculation. When i got this it was 100% .
DF Load.jpg

Experts Don't bother about the values shown in the Excel sheet, Because i have added that values to check the calculation. When i got this it was 100% .
View attachment 30346
Wish you had shown this version first as it shows at the top what you are trying to calculate it for, on that note then ignore my suggestion regarding dissipation :)

Dark Wood Please see the Attachment DF Load.jpg

Ok i will ignore the Dissipation..Thanks.
So what you think now. Is it Demand Factor?

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to D.F Load of Equipment in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net