Discuss Deadly Disconnection here in Minorca! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
IMG_0831.JPG IMG_0830.JPG Presently on holiday in Cala Blanca, Minorca and came across this situation.
The meter box is built into a wall outside a now disused restaurant along the pavement, the door is completely missing and the clear plastic cover over the 4 wire cut out has been broken and removed.
It would appear that the cut out fuses and carriers have been removed leaving the cut out presumably still live at the service cable terminations.
This is in a tourist area with young children running about and it would only take one of them to approach the box and put their hands on the cut out.
I did email Endesa but they have failed to respond to date.

Can't believe that, all exposed! The DNO cutouts used in this country is much better than that carp! Easy to tap off a free supply!

If it is live then it is very dangerous, if it is an unused restaurant where the incoming supply has been cut off further back then it is just redundant equipment in a mess.

You feel rather redundant when you cannot test something accurately. Had to test a supply was dead the other day with a battery charger (led light) - hardly professional is it! I guess you can’t always have a voltage indicator on you or can you?

Don't forget the proving unit stuffed in my shorts pocket...fine until I forget it's there and jump in the pool :)

...and just how many times,did the holiday chat-up line,"I've got a proving unit stuffed in my shorts pocket..." lead,to a successful romance? ;)

Hmm...not unusual for Menorca, they take the doors off cos it gets so hot! I'm prepared to bet that you still haven't heard from Endesa...best way to talk to them is go to their office...and sit there all day being ignored!
I used to be pretty unimpressed with the electrics generally in Menorca, but am changing my tune having just had some work done very professionally which I couldn't fault...and the electrician charged €17/hour which is hardly excessive. I gave him a handful of Wagos as a tip, he'd never seen them before...he offered me some screwnuts, but hey...I'm not a fan.

Reply to Deadly Disconnection here in Minorca! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net