Discuss Death penalty in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Straight yes or no, do you support the reintroduction of the death penalty?

• Yes

Votes: 22 44.9%
  • No

Votes: 27 55.1%

• Total voters
So what would you do with someone like JIHAD JOHN?? Why the hell should we keep these sort of people for the rest of their life at a horrendous cost to the country?? All while they brainwash others into becoming carbon copies of themselves!!..,

Personally no need for any execution ceremony/procedure, ...on the due court assigned date, taken to a tiled room and a single bullet to the back of the head.... Sorted!!

Works pretty well over here in China!! lol!

Some people are just pure Evil, that just have no place in this world, so why prolong the the inevitable!!

If it was done by UK law you can guarantee that by the time all the appeals process had been gone through more money would have been spent than it would cost to lock them up for a lifetime. This has proven to be the case in the US.
I'm against the death penalty as the judicial system is not perfect and the police will often lie if it means getting a conviction.

There are always cases that can be cited like him. What would you say to the family of Barry George had he been executed?

Eh, Sorry??

No, seriously when you have a person caught on camera bang to rights, without a shadow of a doubt of guilt.... I'd have no hesitatation whatsoever signing a death warrant....

If it was done by UK law you can guarantee that by the time all the appeals process had been gone through more money would have been spent than it would cost to lock them up for a lifetime. This has proven to be the case in the US.
I'm against the death penalty as the judicial system is not perfect and the police will often lie if it means getting a conviction.

Bang on!

I'm against the death penalty as the judicial system is not perfect and the police will often lie if it meansgetting a conviction.

Heard that argument many times over, but it's always a different matter when some evil ba***d without a shred of conscience or regret kills a family member for no reason....

Eh, Sorry??

No, seriously when you have a person caught on camera bang to rights, without a shadow of a doubt of guilt.... I'd have no hesitatation whatsoever signing a death warrant....
You miss my point. Barry George (among many others that could be named) was found guilty by a court on the grounds of the weight of evidence against him, some of it circumstantial, some of it forensic but the point is that he would have hanged some three weeks after being found guilty.
What would you say to his family after it was found that some of the evidence against him was fabricated and he was found to be not guilty of the crime for which he would have hanged?

We are all capable of murder and I dont condone a hanging for that, but where its proved without doubt that someone planned and executed murders (serial killers etc) why should we pay to keep them alive Ian Brady has cost us over 14 million + his legal costs and he is guilty without doubt
Would I pust the button ? with pleasure

If anyone can remember a Brighton Hotel that was bombed, well it was full of Tories inc my favourite. Anyway they caught the bomber, he served 14 years then was released as part of the peace process. His ultimate boss managed to get a seat in parliament.... Funny old world isn't it.

If anyone can remember a Brighton Hotel that was bombed, well it was full of Tories inc my favourite. Anyway they caught the bomber, he served 14 years then was released as part of the peace process. His ultimate boss managed to get a seat in parliament.... Funny old world isn't it.
There was a pub in Guildford that was bombed, the bombers were caught and would have hanged. Later they were found not guilty.
Good job we didn't have a death penalty then.

That would have been to quick for him, should have had a red hot poker shoved up his jacksy like Edward II
Or put in a 30ft square room with all the mothers of the children and disabled children he sexually abused, just him and them and their nails, he would be stripped to the bone and die in agony, I would celebrate with a pint afterwards, the man is scum, end of.

There was a pub in Guildford that was bombed, the bombers were caught and would have hanged. Later they were found not guilty.
Good job we didn't have a death penalty then.

Mind you the IRA weren't exactly squeaky clean when it came to many of their autrocities!

I'm against the death penalty.
I'm old enough to remember the Derek Bentley Case.
We've had the Guildford Four, the Birmingham Six, and other cases where there was a wrongful conviction.

If the guilt or otherwise is determined by a jury of twelve people with no particular qualifications other than being between certain ages and on the electoral roll, how can we be sure that they will get it right?

We can't. And, as has been pointed out, the death penalty is irreversible.

There was also Timothy Evans who was framed by Christie,it seems there were many mistakes that could not be righted and that's why as much as my instincts say hang the bstds, my reasoning says not whilst the sentence may be wrong,and that is always

As a add on
Prison however is another matter

No Human rights whilst inside
Min 12 hour working day
No leisure whatsoever (not even a book),just time to sit and reflect on the crime and look forward to the next 12 hour shift

The sentence will have been deemed a success if the prisoner comes out vowing that he would rather die than go back inside
Rehabilitation will be for the prisoner to concern himself with,that should not be societies problem

As a add on

Min 12 hour working day
No leisure whatsoever (not even a book),just time to sit and reflect on the crime and look forward to the next 12 hour shift

The sentence will have been deemed a success if the prisoner comes out vowing that he would rather die than go back inside
Rehabilitation will be for the prisoner to concern himself with,that should not be societies problem
The degree of civilization in a society can be judged by entering its prisons.

there's the concept of Papal Infallibility as he has a direct line to god (allegedly)
I seem to recall the Vatican backpedalled on the idea of Papal Infallibility after the last Pope made less than complimentary comments about the Islamic prophet Mohammed. Whether his comments were 'true' or not isn't the point - going public with the comments risked sparking an angry backlash.
This demonstrates that everyone gets it wrong sometimes, even those who are supposedly infallible; if the Pope can get it wrong then so can a judge sentencing someone to the death penalty. Wrongly sentencing someone to the death penalty would surely constitute murder, and therefore the death penalty? But then new evidence could come to light proving the guilt of the person originally convicted, and the judge who sentenced the other judge faces trial, and it all gets a bit bloodthirsty.

There will always be people saying rape is wrong, and all rapists should be branded equally, even face the death penalty. I think it's important to realise not all rapes include violence, often it's a question of consent, which as long as it can be retrospectively withdrawn will cast doubt over many convictions. Again if it's found that a woman withdrew her consent and cried rape, sending an innocent man to his death, she could also then face the death penalty.

I'm not saying the Pope is right because he's the Pope, but I happen to agree with him on this.

There was also Timothy Evans who was framed by Christie,it seems there were many mistakes that could not be righted and that's why as much as my instincts say hang the bstds, my reasoning says not whilst the sentence may be wrong,and that is always

As a add on

Min 12 hour working day

So what do you say about certain european countries where the emphasis on a prisoner is education and rehabilitation? Stats prove that these countries have a very low re-offending rate

This demonstrates that everyone gets it wrong sometimes, even those who are supposedly infallible; if the Pope can get it wrong then so can a judge sentencing someone to the death penalty. Wrongly sentencing someone to the death penalty would surely constitute murder, and therefore the death penalty? But then new evidence could come to light proving the guilt of the person originally convicted, and the judge who sentenced the other judge faces trial, and it all gets a bit bloodthirsty.

Danish, Norwegian and Swedish) have a word, the Swedish variant of which isjustitiemord, which literally translates as "justice murder." The term exists in several languages and was originally used for cases where the accused was convicted, executed, and later cleared after death. With capital punishment decreasing, the expression has acquired an extended meaning, namely any conviction for a crime not committed by the convicted. The retention of the term "murder" represents both universal abhorrence against wrongful convictions and awareness of how destructive wrongful convictions are. Some*Slavic languageshave also the word (justičná vražda*in Slovak,*justiční vražda*in Czech) which literally translates as "justice murder",*

Lifted from wiki

So what do you say about certain european countries where the emphasis on a prisoner is education and rehabilitation? Stats prove that these countries have a very low re-offending rate

Nothing whatsoever,what they do is their business

I do however feel that society makes rules that we all live by,if we don't agree with a law.as a society we get rid or change that law

Doing wrong is a criminals decision.
I have heard pleas over many years about deprivation and inequality and the like being the cause and that the criminal is just a product of society
Being poor or from a disadvantaged family or the like is no excuse at all, ever

If a crime is committed,the penalty must be very severe in all cases,it should also be very very early in a criminals career
I happen to think that a person is the decision maker, when it comes to crime, its their decision to continue with crime or to learn that it does not pay

I have very strong feelings about criminality and have no time at all for concerns of rehabilitation by the state, or excuses of why a criminal acts,I believe punishment is the only tool that will curb the ever growing capacity of the criminal to commit those acts

Reply to Death penalty in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock