Discuss Death penalty in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Straight yes or no, do you support the reintroduction of the death penalty?

• Yes

Votes: 22 44.9%
  • No

Votes: 27 55.1%

• Total voters
Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Well I don't think you are really listening either, you seem to be talking about the Irish troubles, I am reffering to murders caught without doubt on film for example like the lee rigby murderers,I was not really reffering to the IRA or Unionist murderers, if you really want to discuss Irish issues and need to get something off your chest because I feel you have something on your mind regarding it then start another thread about it and I will be happy to join in about that subject.

Haha did you read my post at all. I said i didn't want to come across as talking solely about that, i studied it at school and find it easy to give examples from that conflict, nothing on my chest. As for lee rigbys two killers they should have maximum security prison for life. The state any state british/irish/eu/usa should be morally superior to killers.

Haha did you read my post at all. I said i didn't want to come across as talk solely about that, i studied it at school and find it easy to give examples from that conflict, nothing on my chest. As for lee rigbys too killers they should have maximum security prison for life. The state any state british/irish/eu/usa should be morally superior to killers.
Hope so mate, knowing this country they will be out in 15 years.

As for lee rigbys too killers they should have maximum security prison for life.

No.

I make that 22 + 45 = 67years

Not quite then

That is unless he cops a fatal sucker punch first

Or perhaps the parole permanent holiday committee release him sooner with a new identity,free food and accommodation and anonymity lest some morally righteous person does what the state should have done

My bet is that guy will be free to enjoy his fifties,even maybe free in his forties,I for one would not be surprised

If you take a look at whole life terms and (for example) minimum sentences handed down from a judge then you'll see they are rarely reduced on any grounds.
I think it's a fairly safe bet that one (possibly both of course) will die in prison and the other will be fairly elderly when released

I won't, and can't, ever support a death penalty.
If you believe strongly that murderers are wrong then you must believe it is wrong for a human to take human life. If these are your beliefs then how can you support a death penalty ?
Morals are not chosen for the convenience of a situation or for the good of the masses, morals are ideals. Justice however is a different concept and one that is far removed from moral ideal.

I don't support the death penalty,not because I think it is morally wrong to take the life of a murderer/terrorist, but its because of the remote possibility that the person who's life is taken is innocent

So in one sense I believe in a life for a life,but because of human failings in convictions,my belief is not safe to enforce

I'm not religious either but i respect others religious beliefs. However, i don't respect the beliefs of those that think it's perfectly acceptable to intentionally kill and maim as many people as they possibly can through terrorist acts in the name of their religion...

As has been stated, if and when a person has been caught in the act, or there is overwhelming evidence, via video footage etc, i'd have no hesitation whatsoever in signing a death warrant, or even pulling the trigger myself.

I can't see any point in keeping such an individual locked up for the rest of their life at horrendous costs, that can total millions (if you believe published government figures) to the taxpayer!! A simple bullet to the back of the head and the problems over, cleanly and cheaply... I don't give a ---- if some think he's a martyr, he'll be dead and gone, and won't be a potential problem within the prison system....end of!!

Top 10 countries who kill their citizens: AKA Death Penalty
1. China
2. North Korea
3. Iran
4. Iraq
5. Saudia Arabia
6. USA
7. Somalia
8. Sudan
9. Yemen
10. Japan

USA and Japan do stand out as not exactly "stuck in the middle ages" - but makes you think about what regimes make up capital punishment as a form of "deterrent" - Do we really want to join that motley crew. ?

I'm not saying the death penalty is used as a deterrent, it maybe for some, but most civilian criminal murders are committed on the spur of the moment, i'm not saying that every murderer should be executed either, long prison sentences is a perfectly acceptable judgement. But when it comes to fanatical scum that go out to intentionally kill as many innocent civilians as they possible can in the name of their religion or cause, then i can't see a single problem with permanently getting rid of them....

Oh and most of the countries stated above are Islamic countries and one governed by a complete nutter.... Japan actually has one of the lowest crime rates in the world!! China i could go into a lot more depth, but just remember it has the largest population of any country or even multiple countries, so not unexpectedly, is number one in your motley crew chart!!...

As for lee rigbys too killers they should have maximum security prison for life.

No.

I make that 22 + 45 = 67years

Not quite then

That is unless he cops a fatal sucker punch first

Or perhaps the parole permanent holiday committee release him sooner with a new identity,free food and accommodation and anonymity lest some morally righteous person does what the state should have done

My bet is that guy will be free to enjoy his fifties,even maybe free in his forties,I for one would not be surprised

I don't really know how those two above figures were handed down, but generally in the UK prison terms are run concurrently so it would actually be the longest term handed down, eg 45 years.... Now if parole (or whatever they call it in the UK these days) is then considered, it will normally kick in after 2/3rds of the sentence served... I can't really see this happening in this case, before that term has been served, the Home Secretary will intervene and remove any chance of parole and can actually increase term to ''Whole Life''.

Now that's something i completely disagree with, the Home Secretary should have no say whatsoever over a high court Judges Sentence, he is a political term elected cabinet minister that is only around for a limited period of time, and is nothing to do with the JUDICIARY which should remain completely autonomous and above political aspirations, that works and delivers judgements solely within the letter of the laws of the land...
I have nothing against the HS officially asking the judiciary for a sentence review, but his involvement on making lawful decisions be limited to just that, ...referring cases to the judiciary.

I wonder how any of us would feel if someone was killed as a result of work we'd done believing we knew all the info ( but didn't ) about something we were installing or had a preconceived notion that we knew it all anyway and didn't need to read the manufacturers instructions or not test something because it's a forgone conclusion.
An innocent life gone because we were so clever we knew it all.
When someone is dead its too late to put things right.
I wouldn't be able to live with that......

Now imagine yourself on a jury where the charge is murder and capital punishment exists.

I don't really know how those two above figures were handed down,but generally in the UK prison terms are run concurrently so it would actually be the longest term handed down, eg 45 years.... Now if parole (or whatever they call it in the UK these days) is then considered, it will normally kick in after 2/3rds of the sentence served... I can't really see this happening in this case, before that term has been served, the Home Secretary will intervene and remove any chance of parole and can actually increase term to ''Whole Life''.
Now that's something i completely disagree with, the Home Secretary should have no say whatsoever over a high court Judges Sentence, he is a political term elected cabinet minister that is only around for a limited period of time, and is nothing to do with the JUDICIARY which should remain completely autonomous and above political aspirations, that works and delivers judgements solely within the letter of the laws of the land...
I have nothing against the HS officially asking the judiciary for a sentence review, but his involvement on making lawful decisions be limited to just that, ...referring cases to the judiciary.

Sorry for not being clear
They are the sentence as imposed added to the age of the scum

My point being in his case there may be no whole life sentence
He may be free to have another go in his 60s at worst,before that it will be the usual case of releasing a prisoner on parole years before full sentence is served
He could be looking forward to many years wandering free

I completely agree with the comment about a politician having no role in sentence review other than referal

Whilst mentioning parole and going back to my post about making prison horrendous
Parole should be consideration of behaviour after serving the full term

It should be a case of "be a good boy and the sentence may not be increased for bad behaviour"
"Be a naughty boy" and the sentence is increased to suit

I wonder how any of us would feel if someone was killed as a result of work we'd done believing we knew all the info ( but didn't ) about something we were installing or had a preconceived notion that we knew it all anyway and didn't need to read the manufacturers instructions or not test something because it's a forgone conclusion.
An innocent life gone because we were so clever we knew it all.
When someone is dead its too late to put things right.
I wouldn't be able to live with that......

Now imagine yourself on a jury where the charge is murder and capital punishment exists.
Good job you weren't in Nuremberg you would have given them community service.
Have a look for Westley allan dodd and see if you could have sentenced him to death.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good job you weren't in Nuremberg you would have given them community service.
Have a look for Westley allan dodd and see if you could have sentenced him to death.

Have you ever sat on a jury?

Ile start with saying I am not religeous, I respect others beliefs but have no intrest in something that can not be proven "beyond reasonable doubt".
If I was religeous maybe my view would be different, I dont know but I think someone who plots and schemes to do so much harm to people have no human rights.
Lee Rigbys killers come up alot in here so I will focus on that.

Those ******* deliberatly and intentionally went out to mutilate and kill that poor man.
In those situations it makes me appreciate our armed police, As despite the crap they get they didnt kill them.
I can not say I would of done the same, Infact I would of felt quite content in ending their misserable lifes.

Am I harsh or slightly sadistic? Possibly.

Would I have the same feeling towards someone like say Oscar Pistorious? No I wouldnt.

9/11 Terrorists, Yes, Jimmy Saville Yes!

All those individuals commited in my mind crimes that simply can not be forgiven and I personally would begrudge paying to give them a cosy prison cell and 3 meals a day.
Ide much rather foot the bill for a 20p bullet and the Executioner.

Regarding Jail sentences (and this applys to all sentences not just serious crimes) I feel the system is messed up.
You have someone as ****ed in the head as Jon Venables who was rightly sent down with his mate for killing poor little James Bulger, He should of been made someones bitch or shanked inside, TBH I couldnt care less but instead he was released and then commited more crimes.
Why? Why was this low life **** released?

On the flip side you have one of my close friends who got sent down for 2 years (served) and his crime you ask?
Drunkely shouting "I should kill you!" to his ex girlfriend who was safely locked in her house with her son she wouldnt allow him to see.
He ended up in a high security prison.

So yes I think it should be brought back for certain crimes, But TBH I think the system needs fixing first.

Reply to Death penalty in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock