Discuss Devaluation of the Electrician in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
2005 approved spark 10.84 ph- 390.24 pw
2023 approved spark 17.20 ph - 619.20 pw

2005 min wage 5.05 ph - 181.80 pw
2023 min wage 10.42 ph - 375.12 pw

2005 Min wage 46% percentage of sparks wage
2023 Min wage 60% percentage of sparks wage 60%

Correction factor using 2005 minimum wage percentage for 2023 sparks wage.

375 ÷ 0.46
= £815 pw

815 - 619 = £196 pw before tax down

14% pay cut in 18 years.

Yep.

Maybe we should strike?

Only taking two examples doesn’t give the full picture.
Take those 2005 and 2023 wages from dozens of jobs, not just trades, and they will all have gone up at different rates.

You may well find that only the minimum wage has shot up and every other rate has climbed steadily.
Does that mean every occupation has become devalued…. Compared with the MW?

Then there’s tax. If the minimum wage goes up, and the hours have been put in, then there are more people reaching the threshold and paying tax.

I think that is the trend with most industries (except finance and politicians)
not just electricians

before long we will be back to the feudal system again

get out and work for yourself, I’ve found it to be quite the opposite self employed

don’t let the man bring you down!

Im not sure what you mean just two examples. The only point I'm proving, is like the nurses etc, we are being shafted too. Average hourly rate in uk is £16.60, approved spark is on £17.20 a whopping 60p an hour more. Now imagine the apprentice blowing your £36 pair of snips... You're down 60 hours on the average person who doesn't have to pay for their own tools... Its nothing to do with any political party, this is global. Unite negotiate our JIB wages, which suggests to me, you're on your own if your in the private sector.

Reply to Devaluation of the Electrician in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock