Discuss Did I Do This Right? in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

Lul2x

Hey there. I just installed a new light by splitting off of my duplex wall outlet and I was wondering if someone could verify that it is correct. Below is the drawing of what I did. The setup works, I just want to make sure it is safe. Is this good? Thanks for the help!!

outlet_diagram.jpg

Hey there. I just installed a new light by splitting off of my duplex wall outlet and I was wondering if someone could verify that it is correct. Below is the drawing of what I did. The setup works, I just want to make sure it is safe. Is this good? Thanks for the help!!

outlet_diagram.jpg
Well i would think twice before i shagged it:)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd hazard a guess you are in the states?

mdshunks is your man if so, but from a uk sparks perspective;
  1. lack of cpc (earth) to light fitting.
  2. requires a fused spur between light & socket outlet.

Thanks for the replies. I'm from Canada actualy, but our systems are pretty much the same as the US.

It doesn't look like the light fixture has a screw for the ground, just the pos and neg. A fuse would also be a good idea. As the setup is right now, am I looking at any serious safety issues?

Thanks again :)

I don't really give advice to DIY's, but the best place for you to get DIY help for Canadian wiring is Self Help Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Assuming you drew your picture as an accurate reflection of what you actually did, you've got a few problems on your hands. Your house isn't going to burn down today, but it doesn't quite square with the code.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Your house isn't going to burn down today,"

I am going to remember that quote and if the situation arises will use it myself one day.

Reply to Did I Do This Right? in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net