Discuss Digital tape measure in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

naylorpd

Regular EF Member
I'm toying with a digital distance measure for my Christmas pressie for me...had one a few years ago but I never trusted it and always ended up checking with a steel tape.

So...do you use a digital tape measure, and to what extent do you trust it?
Over how long (or short) a distance do you use a digital one rather than a steel tape?

telectrix

Disrespected Scouser
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
i use a piece of string with a knot every fathom. never got round to determining if they are digital knots or analogue.

ruston

Respected Member
Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
I'm toying with a digital distance measure for my Christmas pressie for me...had one a few years ago but I never trusted it and always ended up checking with a steel tape.

So...do you use a digital tape measure, and to what extent do you trust it?
Over how long (or short) a distance do you use a digital one rather than a steel tape?
Same as you , didn't trust it . Near enough for non critical , but couldn't bring myself to rely on it.

telectrix

Disrespected Scouser
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
useful in certain situs. e.g estate agents measuring rooms because they are too thick to use a tape measure.

pirate

Regular EF Member
Tel! you are cruising...
estate agents too thick to use a tape measure?
Nuff said...
Leica Disto 2, if you are too thick to use it, don't buy one!
It does so much more than simply measure a distance!
I love mine!

SWD

Gender neutral
Electrician's Arms
i use a piece of string with a knot every fathom. never got round to determining if they are digital knots or analogue.
Pirate, give telectrix his login details back and stop taking the pee pee out of him.......

pirate

Regular EF Member
Ha! What does Tel know?
A fathom is 6 feet, always has been, always will be...as a Pirate and seafaring man I know this!
Thus, fathoms are Imperial measures, and a knot, in a piece of string, is simply a knot...unless it is a hitch, or a bend...but that's a whole different story.
However, a knot, as a measure of speed, that's a different thing altogether. A mile is 1760 yards, a nautical mile is 2006 yards approximately, so 1 knot speed is about 1.1 mph.
Proper nautical charts show depths in fathoms and fractions...the new-fangled crappy ones use metres...so 2 metres is a bit more than 1 fathom...took me ages to "fathom" that out!
To be fair, Tel...I do need to get out more...

GMES

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Wouldn't be without my Leica now, I use it most days.
I was measuring a factory out the other day for traywork and cable the factory ended up at 89m long by 45m, that would have been fun with a tape measure although that's how I used to do it, that or a wheel.

Gavin John Hyde

Electrician's Arms
I use one for pricing up and quotes mainly. Useful for working out long cable runs. But for finer measurements such as downlights i find good old tape, long ruler and pencil comes out top for me.

telectrix

Disrespected Scouser
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
Ha! What does Tel know?
A fathom is 6 feet, always has been, always will be...as a Pirate and seafaring man I know this!
Thus, fathoms are Imperial measures, and a knot, in a piece of string, is simply a knot...unless it is a hitch, or a bend...but that's a whole different story.
However, a knot, as a measure of speed, that's a different thing altogether. A mile is 1760 yards, a nautical mile is 2006 yards approximately, so 1 knot speed is about 1.1 mph.
Proper nautical charts show depths in fathoms and fractions...the new-fangled crappy ones use metres...so 2 metres is a bit more than 1 fathom...took me ages to "fathom" that out!
To be fair, Tel...I do need to get out more...
to measure the speed of a ship in knots, a piece of wood tied to a rope with knots in was thrown overboard. the knots ( spaced at 47ft 3 inches )passing through a sailor's hands were counted over a set time thus giving the speed in knots. a knot being 1 nautical mile per hour or 6080 ft/hour.
and i need to get out more also.

SWD

Gender neutral
Electrician's Arms
Wouldn't be without my Leica now, I use it most days.
I was measuring a factory out the other day for traywork and cable the factory ended up at 89m long by 45m, that would have been fun with a tape measure although that's how I used to do it, that or a wheel.
Years back working at a department store in Sutton someone (not me) had to cut a load of armoured at 100 mtr so borrowed a tape reel, next day the spark was off so he had to borrow another sparks tape reel, at the end of the day it was fun as the first spark had a 100 mtr reel which was the length the armoured needed to be cut to, the second spark had a 66 mtr one, oooops

pirate

Regular EF Member
Tel is quite right, as usual! The speed of a "log", a piece of wood, passing the knotted line through your hands...

And the length of a piece of string is obviously twice as long as half its length...the Microsoft answer!

Here is a fine example of a ship's log:
WP_20181203_19_46_07_Pro[1].jpg

The casing revolves to reveal the pointers/scale, and swivels back, sealed with tallow, to keep the mechanism watertight as it is towed through the water.

This one is Edward Massey's Patent Yacht Log, and I can confirm its accuracy is amazing.

DefyG

Regular EF Member
Had 2, both Hilti ones and found them to be really accurate. Have their limitations though (eg measuring between recessed light points when no 'target' wall). And usually not just straight line measurement by area and volume too.

SWD

Gender neutral
Electrician's Arms
Pointless bit of info on here but back in errrrrr but in about 1986 I was working on a building site building mains risers with a guy who was working on an idea and trying to patent a "digital" tape measure, I remember one day he had to leave work early as he had a meeting with lack and Decker, I always wondered if his invention came to fruition. Really nice guy so hopefully it did.

BruvDunk

Electrician/ Maint/ EC&I/Safety Controller
I got a little Bosch one years ago. Handy when you want to make the cat run round in circles.

As said above useful for larger measurements of long runs or room dimensions etc
But doesn’t replace the trusty tape measure.

SWD

Gender neutral
Electrician's Arms
I got a little Bosch one years ago. Handy when you want to make the cat run round in circles.

As said above useful for larger measurements of long runs or room dimensions etc
But doesn’t replace the trusty tape measure.
Good for a "guesstimate" but to be 100% sure stick to a tape measure.

pirate

Regular EF Member
I like the feature on the Disto2 that beeps when you get to a repeated distance, like every 600mm for studs in walls. It also lets you space downlighters at any distance you want.

telectrix

Disrespected Scouser
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
I like the feature on the Disto2 that beeps when you get to a repeated distance, like every 600mm for studs in walls. It also lets you space downlighters at any distance you want.
too techy...... 600mm is about 1/2 sheet of 8 x 4. when we finally leave the Eurine Commissary. can we please get back to proper measurements (inches and feet). Pirate can be the boss man with his patent log.

Duncan Norman

Regular EF Member
can't 'fathom' this at all - like an electricians 'mate' about as much mate to me as bowel cancer. does that 'grade' actually exsist in the construction industry btw - I only ask because I've seen horrors - many many

TomB

EF Member
i've got this one and find it brilliant for when i'm measuring wall to wall/floor to ceiling, also when quoting to get a rough idea on room sizes etc saves no end of time but admittedly when your trying to measure for example 1 metre off the wall its takes longer than using a normal tape measure.

TomB

EF Member
also just to add to that, using it with the app on my phone saves loads of drawings and scribbles on bits of paper getting misplaced

sparksfly

Regular EF Member
Leica x310 bought over 3 years ago and what a difference it made ..takes seconds. Getting distances for runs of SWA, can be difficult in bright light but.... Use a bit of low tack tape for a target if you want to measure part of a wall/floor/ceiling. if i want to mark a certain distance from a wall i hold a button and it continually measures as I move the laser to mark desired distance, also it adds up individual measurements for total cable route. I don't use it everyday but av every week/2 weeks saves so much time. I did procrastinate for a 2 years about buying one, just buy one if you regularly measure up for jobs.

Duncan Norman

Regular EF Member
Pirate - feet inches , Fathoms yeah why not? I vote back to -- Red, Yellow,blue and Black as well !! -- got a 30 meter chinese laser measure to try for 20 bangers .
DANIU 30M Laser Rangefinder Anti-fall Steel Tape High Precision Infrared Digital Laser Distance Meter Measure Distance Tool Tape - https://www.banggood.com/30M-Laser-Rangefinder-Anti-fall-Steel-Tape-High-Precision-Infrared-Digital-Laser-Distance-Meter-Meas-p-1381867.html?rmmds=myorder&cur_warehouse=CN
seems pretty accurate (so far) I'll see after I've dropped it once or twice.

telectrix

Disrespected Scouser
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
Pirate - feet inches , Fathoms yeah why not? I vote back to -- Red, Yellow,blue and Black as well !! -- got a 30 meter chinese laser measure to try for 20 bangers .
DANIU 30M Laser Rangefinder Anti-fall Steel Tape High Precision Infrared Digital Laser Distance Meter Measure Distance Tool Tape - https://www.banggood.com/30M-Laser-Rangefinder-Anti-fall-Steel-Tape-High-Precision-Infrared-Digital-Laser-Distance-Meter-Meas-p-1381867.html?rmmds=myorder&cur_warehouse=CN
seems pretty accurate (so far) I'll see after I've dropped it once or twice.
might get one of them, or maybe the laser only on same page.

Duncan Norman

Regular EF Member
only advice I have to offer - read all the feed back first. still this thing seems to do everything I need (so far)
kind regards Duncan

johnduffell

Regular EF Member
Seems absolutely spot on to me, i didn't trust it at first and always remeasured, but it was always more accurate than by the time you dealt with the hook on the tape measure and bend in the tape going into a reveal etc plus other human errors.

Electrician Talk