Discuss Dimmable CFL GU10s in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Hi,
yes I have TRIED to use them but have encountered major problems. They will only dim with certain makes of dimmer and inthe application we had which was a grid array, which we hadto use due to other switching etc., they would only dim after being on full power for 20mins. This info came from Megaman themselves. If you use a conventional dimmer, as stated on the box then if the loading is resonably low you'll get a really good 1980's disco effect bordering on strobing !!.
In the case we have Megaman supplied the lamps to the mnufacturer of the fittings and are having to send a consultant to site to sort out the problem.

So in the one instance we've used them we've had lots of problems.

Regards,
Lofty

Thanks for the reply; I've asked a few other sparks and they have said similar things. I was aware that you have to be careful matching the dimmer's VA rating and I was also planning to use a grid dimmer, but I didn't know about the need for a 20 minute warmup, which makes them sound quite inconvenient.

It sounds like they're a nice idea but need a bit of product development before halogen GU10s can be banned, but I doubt the government will listen to reason.

This type of CFL is still fairly new and there have been many issues with regard to flickering.

At the moment i would try and steer clear of the dimmables unless its been specified in the design.

Aurora are a good quality fitting, however, its the lamps that give the problems at the mo.

I just been to see a kitchen refit a sparky mate of mine has just finished and he had installed dimmables.

Dreadful is the polite word i think i will use!

Out of about 15, 3 flickered and flashed and went off and came on.

Im not going to recommend any of these until they have sorted this issue, and i cant see that being anytime soon.

Reply to Dimmable CFL GU10s in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock