Discuss Distance Learning Vs 6 Week Cram in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

R

Rambler

Hi Folks,

I hope some of you good people can give me some advice, I'm trying to decide which training programe to follow.

While there's lots of comment here about the cram type courses I was wondering if anyone has any experience of the distance learning route and if there are any particularly good providers or ones to be avoided?

Good advice is always welcome.

Cheers
Rambler

Hi Rambler,

Which course are you looking to do?

I always recommend people should try there local technical colleges for electrical courses first, rather than the expensive private companies.

I think if you are looking to start out in the electrical industry and are serious, then I would take yourself to college where you can ask a tutor a question if you are stuck with something or where you can be shown something practically?

Personally I don't think that the distance courses are right for this industry, but of course thats just my opinion.

Good luck either way!

Warren :)

Hi Warren,

Thanks for your reply, at the moment I've got to say that I'm confused. On one hand you have so called approved courses offering "Full Electrical Contractor Qualification" both distance or cram, if you pay their course fees, while on the other hand you have colleges offering C & G 2330 as the best way forward.

In my current situation I can't afford the two to three years to go through the college and can only just afford the cost of the training company’s fees if I go that route. I have a substantial amount of experience gained over the years mainly through studying books and using automotive electrics training and experience to work on my own houses, but I recognise and respect the need to be properly trained.

My puzzle really is; are qualifications gained through these training companies accepted in the trade and if so are there any particularly good companies worth contacting. I'm based in the midlands and it seems that there are an overwhelming number of courses on offer, but yet when I read some of the posts on this forum it appears that seasoned electricians do not recognise qualifications form these courses.

Not wishing to sound big headed, I have considerable experience and training on automotive and forklift DC electrics and Ohm's Law, use of test meters for voltage and continuity testing as well as clamp meters for current testing are all second nature. Although my use of Meggers is pretty limited. In addition, as you might expect I've "got a pair of hands" as some might say and have used most tools in my time.

The problem is that having followed a management career route, in more recent years I'm finding that opportunities are getting fewer and the spectre of redundancy ever closer. Having said that, I'm fed up to the back teeth with sitting in an office at a PC and really want to get back to working with my hands and preferably for myself.

I have noticed a course offered by OLCI in Birmingham which is a distance learning course for C & G 2330, which this is the same as that offered by colleges. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with them, good or bad?

Cheers

Rambler

Reply to Distance Learning Vs 6 Week Cram in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock