Discuss Do BG Nexus make an intrrmediate dimmer module? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I need an intermediate dimmer module for the BG nexus switch, but I can’t seem to find any? Any ideas where I can find one?
The Intermediate dimmer modules I've seen from other brands are just an intermediate push switch in the guise of a dimmer module - is that what you are after?

IMG_0433.jpeg

I need an intermediate dimmer module for the BG nexus switch, but I can’t seem to find any? Any ideas where I can find one?
Likely because they don't exist. If you draw out a schematic of a 3-location switch set, you'll notice the intermediate is either in one state or the other state. An intermediate dimmer would have to be 2 dimmers in order to dim control either of the 2 lines, and would end up being quite large.
In the USA we call intermediate a 4-way switch, electrically between 2 3-way switches. (You cal them 2-way switches.) We learn in theory and in the field if a dimmer is to be employed, it must be the 1st or the last, as there's no such thing as a 4-way dimmer.

Here, companies like Lutron and Leviton and others make electronic master/ slave systems where one location is the actual dimmer and the remaining locations (Lutron allows up to 10 or 12) are all "slaves" but they electronically "tell" the master dimmer what to do, via a signal over the circuit wires. But this changes the cost from a $15.00 standard 3-way dimmer and a a standard $5.00 3-way and a standard $16.00 4-way to a $60.00 master dimmer and 2 x $35.00 slave dimmers.

Likely because they don't exist. If you draw out a schematic of a 3-location switch set, you'll notice the intermediate is either in one state or the other state. An intermediate dimmer would have to be 2 dimmers in order to dim control either of the 2 lines, and would end up being quite large.
In the USA we call intermediate a 4-way switch, electrically between 2 3-way switches. (You cal them 2-way switches.) We learn in theory and in the field if a dimmer is to be employed, it must be the 1st or the last, as there's no such thing as a 4-way dimmer.

Here, companies like Lutron and Leviton and others make electronic master/ slave systems where one location is the actual dimmer and the remaining locations (Lutron allows up to 10 or 12) are all "slaves" but they electronically "tell" the master dimmer what to do, via a signal over the circuit wires. But this changes the cost from a $15.00 standard 3-way dimmer and a a standard $5.00 3-way and a standard $16.00 4-way to a $60.00 master dimmer and 2 x $35.00 slave dimmers.
Thanks for the information, yes on reflection I realised that the intermediate probably wouldn’t be able to be dimmable! 🙄

The electronic switches may be worth a thought.

Thanks for your help.

Thanks for the information, yes on reflection I realised that the intermediate probably wouldn’t be able to be dimmable!
As mentioned, you can get e.g. Varilight dimmers with one master and several slaves (if I'm allowed to use that word!). So all switching points can be dimmers, if you wish. If you need to match a BG or other faceplate, you just buy the modules and swap them into the faceplate of your choice.

Thanks for the information, yes on reflection I realised that the intermediate probably wouldn’t be able to be dimmable! 🙄

The electronic switches may be worth a thought.

Thanks for your help.
Oh, and as I look at this issue again I realized: Even if the middle switch was 2 dimmers, then the 1st and 3rd switches would be useless to turn the light off, as either would simply swap which traveler was active, moving the load through the second dimmer and accomplish nothing. I remember back to electrical theory courses that when what we call "3-way switching" (You call it 2-way) was explained it was emphasized that only one of the 2 switches could be the dimmer, either one, no matter what method of wiring was used. When the 3rd switch (which we call a 4-way) was introduced that could NOT be a dimmer for these very reasons.

Oh, and as I look at this issue again I realized: Even if the middle switch was 2 dimmers, then the 1st and 3rd switches would be useless to turn the light off, as either would simply swap which traveler was active, moving the load through the second dimmer and accomplish nothing. I remember back to electrical theory courses that when what we call "3-way switching" (You call it 2-way) was explained it was emphasized that only one of the 2 switches could be the dimmer, either one, no matter what method of wiring was used. When the 3rd switch (which we call a 4-way) was introduced that could NOT be a dimmer for these very reasons.
2 way and intermediate. Dimmer modules come in both 2 way and intermediate, all of which can be used to dim and turn lights on/off. All switches here are fully functional. Maybe these don’t exist across the pond?

There was a post on this forum within the last few months that introduced me to rotary dimmers that could be connected in parallel - two, three, or four of them etc. and each would dim and turn on and off the light. There was no 'master' and 'slave' concept. There was no rf intercommunication. They were all the same dimmer type, with no separate signal wire, and I think they must have communicated with each other through the interconnected mains wiring, but no such details were explained.
I have not been able to find the post ☹️.

In my vain attempt to find details on the web, I did find another version of the same thing, so here's a link hoping show I'm not going mad (well, not yet)

Can anyone point me to the earlier post?

2 way and intermediate. Dimmer modules come in both 2 way and intermediate, all of which can be used to dim and turn lights on/off. All switches here are fully functional. Maybe these don’t exist across the pond?

I cannot see how an intermediate dimmer is possible. They do not exist in the US or Canada. A dimmer needs connecting between 2 terminals. Now look at the switching mechanism on an intermediate switch: On the inlet there are terminals A and B. On the outlet there are terminals 1 and 2. If the 2 states of the intermediate are: A connects to 1, and B connects to 2, or... A connects to 2, and B connects to 1... then where in that switch does the dimmer connect?

Or maybe I'm thinking of this wrong?

Reply to Do BG Nexus make an intrrmediate dimmer module? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net